Thread: HDD to SSD

New Lounger
    Thanks

HDD to SSD

I have a desktop with a large HDD with the OS in a separate partition from the photos, music, and documents partition.
    On a separate pc, a older laptop with BIOS (and fewer partitions), I recently used mini partition wizard to copy the C: partition to a SSD and switched them out. Everything worked fine.
    Since that went well, I thought I would do the same with my desktop.
    I bought a SSD smaller than the HDD, but larger than the C:
    I was able to copy all the partitions off the HDD over to the SSD except for the partition with the photos, music, etc on it.
    I think I have tried modifying the UEFI every way that makes sense, both as a legacy, non secure boot and as a UEFI Windows boot manager boot but the pc can not find a boot device except for the HDD.
    Can someone help me with the UEFI changes I need to make on a less than one year old DELL, or
    is there something else I need to do other than reload everything manually on the SSD??? (I know, I probably should do that, but don't want to till I really need to).

Thank You!!
    Gwing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwing View Post
    I was able to copy all the partitions off the HDD over to the SSD
    Are you sure you got ALL the necessary partitions? Depends which Windows version you have, but there are very probably 1-2 partitions apart from C: which you need on the SSD.

These partitions are usually less than a GB, and called System and Recovery on my setup.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Gwing,

IMHO, you're better off Imaging the C: partition along with the other system partitions (Everything on Disk 0 below) then restoring them to the SSD.

diskmgmt Img.JPG

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Lugh and RetiredGeek. I'd say that using the Mini Partition Wizard to copy individual partitions may be too granular (more than I would like to contemplate when copying multiple partitions). Perhaps you would find the whole thing less confusing if you used an imaging product which is free and will copy all the partitions at one fell swoop (Macrium Reflect for instance, or AOMEI Backupper Standard).
    You may want to move the data you mentioned (photos, music, etc.) to a different drive before imaging (maybe even shrink C: or the data partition?).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-10-15 at 22:39. Reason: comment
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RockE, Lugh, RetiredGeek....thanks for the feedback!
    I can say that it looks like I copied all the partitions over but the documents one (comparing the names, size, etc) including Winretools, image, ESP, other and C: , but maybe something got left out, not connected or out of place or whatever...something that is not visible to me. I was looking and I think I can resize and move etc and then just copy over the drive to the SDD. I'll give that a try next week and see how it goes. Thanks again!
    Gwing

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Clint,
    Are you still alive?