Thread: etscape6

New Lounger
    Thanks

etscape6

I've found that Netscape 4.7 is very crash prone and had high hopes for N6. Downloading it and trying to install I got nowhere. Program does not work and clicking on the icon it put on the desktop simply put a Netscape 6 screen on the desktop which can only be removed by rebooting!
    Help from N was non-existent: their supposed support supplier has remained completely silent for a couple of months! And I think it's wrong to have to pay $30 for a phone call for help to install free software that doesn't work. What has Netscape come to?
    Can anyone suggest what's wrong and whether it's worth pursuing trying to get N6 working? I have a Dell Dimension desktop, hardly an avant garde machine that could cause trouble. Any help appreciated.

Eric Kisch

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: etscape6

Hi Eric:

I haven't tried NS6, but from everything I've heard, it's not worth the trouble. There are more bugs in this version than previous ones.

I'd go back to NS 4.75 if I were you. That seems to be the last stable version. I have crashes from time to time, but I can get that with IE too.

You can get previous versions at

http://www.netscape.com/download/archive.html

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Netscape6

Phil - many thanks. This is exactly the info I needed. Exeunt N6 with flourish. I can understand why they would not want to reply to my enquiry. That would be admitting the product doesn't work. They must have a deathwish to do this to their still loyal users. Are they DELIBERATELY trying to fold?

The typo in the original subject heading ("etscape6) perhaps signified "no {e}N[d} of trouble ahead!

Thanks again for your help.

Eric

heathdon

Re: etscape6

I'm an Australian who has been a fan of netscape, and a constant user. I have 4.76 running now. So I decided that I would buy from Netscape USA their CD and Handbook for 6. The first time I tried they wanted US$99.90 to send it. This subsequently came down to US$15.00 after some correspondence with FedEx who are the only option to ship Netscape out of the US. So to get the CD and the manual cost me US$33.56. I did this because I have had bad experiences trying to download the browser from the internet.
    The installation went OK from the CD but let me tell you that without the manual I would have not made it as you need to know where to go to complete the setup on your desktop. I still can't access mail from my ISP, and they don't have a clue on how to help me, as they have tried downloading and failed to get a working copy. My Netscape 6 does everything it's supposed to do, other than get mail - which is real helpful.
    I would suggest to anyone who's thinking of downloading it - DON'T BOTHER.

Regards Don