2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Renewal for Office 365 University and Office Insider Questions

My license to Office 365 is currently tied to an Office 365 University subscription. I'm getting a prompt in Office 2016 to enable automatic renewal (see image). However, the only plans being displayed are non-University plans.

Does someone happen to know if automatic renewal can be enabled to Office 365 University subscriptions, or is this something I'll need to renew manually before my expiration date to prove I'm at a university?

Additionally, is there any reason for me to join "Office Insider" on my primary PC (even the slow ring), or is Office Insider (even slow ring builds) buggy enough to not use it on my primary machine?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Office Insider is just a newsletter, but it will provide links to resources and downloads that you may find useful.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2016-10-16 at 03:22. Reason: Added link

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2016-10-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you visit and poke around Compare Microsoft Office Products, and What’s New and Improved in Office 2016 for Office 365, you may get some answers. In the first of these, I ran a video that was offered and a ‘live operator’ message popped up to say that someone was there to answer any questions I might have. YMMV.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    Office Insider is just a newsletter, but it will provide links to resources and downloads that you may find useful.
    Your link indicates that it gives early access to new releases via fast or slow levels.

Join the new Office Insider community

Today, we’re also launching Office Insider, a new program that allows Office 365 Home, Office 365 Personal and Office 365 University subscribers to opt in to pre-release builds of Office 2016 for Windows.

Office Blog, November 13, 2015

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Your link indicates that it gives early access to new releases via fast or slow levels.

Join the new Office Insider community

Today, we’re also launching Office Insider, a new program that allows Office 365 Home, Office 365 Personal and Office 365 University subscribers to opt in to pre-release builds of Office 2016 for Windows.

Office Blog, November 13, 2015
    Yes it does, but the OP appeared to be under the impression that they would be automatic or imposed, where they are entirely optional and offered through links.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    Yes it does, but the OP appeared to be under the impression that they would be automatic or imposed, where they are entirely optional and offered through links.
    They are automatic. Otherwise there would be no point in fast or slow levels:

What is Office Insider?

You can join Office Insider to get preview builds for the latest features, security updates, and performance fixes that Microsoft releases. This means you can be among the very first to get access, and that the feedback you provide will help shape and improve the quality of Office around the world. ...

How are Office Updates rolled out?

For the Windows, Mac, and Windows Mobile Office Insider programs, there are two tracks: Office Insider Fast and Office Insider Slow. When new features and updates are distributed, the timeline usually goes like this:

1. Insiders who have signed up for Office Insider Fast will receive the earliest, preview build first. This track is for Insiders who feel comfortable with using unsupported builds and will help identify issues and provide valuable feedback to Microsoft. (This only applies to Windows, Mac, and Windows Mobile which have the Fast program. Android and iOS programs will eventually get the fast track as well.)
    2. Next, Insiders who have joined Office Insider Slow get access to preview builds. These preview builds differ, in that they are fully supported by Microsoft. This means there’s minimal risk and your feedback will be used to tweak and improve the final Office update.
    If you are an Office Insider for Android, there is only one option and you will receive a supported build before other users.
    3. The remaining Office 2016 users get updates a little later, typically one to three weeks after Office Insiders, or possibly longer. When they’re released, these updates are sent to a small percentage of users first, and then more users are added over time until all Office subscribers are updated.

When new features are available, they will download automatically if you have Office for Windows.

When do I get the newest features in Office 2016 for Office 365?
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-10-16 at 11:47.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are right, and I was wrong. On reviewing my mail I see that I have mail from TechNet Flash, Windows IT Pro Insider, Windows Insider Program, MSN, and Windows, but nothing at all from Office Insider. I'm not qualified to answer, because I'm not a member. Office 2016 is Microsoft's answer to Google Docs, to appearances: Is it still a 'first year free' program?.

I don't feel left out, really I don't, and I see that they are begging me for Feedback and I don't even know from which program, but I do get regular news that includes downloadable software for server programs and other things that I have no likely use for, and thank heaven they aren't downloading that on me unannounced. Mind you, I said that I would have no use for enterprise versions of systems, only to see that Windows To Go was part of Win 8.1 Enterprise, and I got that as a biggie from TechNet before they discontinued TechNet.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    They are automatic. Otherwise there would be no point in fast or slow levels:

What is Office Insider?

You can join Office Insider to get preview builds for the latest features, security updates, and performance fixes that Microsoft releases. This means you can be among the very first to get access, and that the feedback you provide will help shape and improve the quality of Office around the world. ...

How are Office Updates rolled out?

For the Windows, Mac, and Windows Mobile Office Insider programs, there are two tracks: Office Insider Fast and Office Insider Slow. When new features and updates are distributed, the timeline usually goes like this:

1. Insiders who have signed up for Office Insider Fast will receive the earliest, preview build first. This track is for Insiders who feel comfortable with using unsupported builds and will help identify issues and provide valuable feedback to Microsoft. (This only applies to Windows, Mac, and Windows Mobile which have the Fast program. Android and iOS programs will eventually get the fast track as well.)
    2. Next, Insiders who have joined Office Insider Slow get access to preview builds. These preview builds differ, in that they are fully supported by Microsoft. This means there’s minimal risk and your feedback will be used to tweak and improve the final Office update.
    If you are an Office Insider for Android, there is only one option and you will receive a supported build before other users.
    3. The remaining Office 2016 users get updates a little later, typically one to three weeks after Office Insiders, or possibly longer. When they’re released, these updates are sent to a small percentage of users first, and then more users are added over time until all Office subscribers are updated.

When new features are available, they will download automatically if you have Office for Windows.

When do I get the newest features in Office 2016 for Office 365?
    This is perfect. Since the Slow builds are supported by Microsoft, I may join Office Insider Slow. It'd give me a chance to get early access to new Office features without much risk. I do my mission-critical typing in another program as well, so I can afford to take minimal risk with Office.
    Nathan Parker
    President/CEO
    Mallard Computer, Inc.