New Lounger
    Thanks

Double boot to start Win 10

I have to double boot to start Win 10. The first time I power up my desktop computer it stops at the window with a black background and a somewhat small 'Windows' icon in the top center of the screen. The swirl of dots below the window never appears even if I wait 1/2 hour. When I turn off the computer and restart it (power off - power on) the boot process is normal with the swirl of dots appearing and the home page eventually develops. One other strange thing.... about one in ten startups, the computer will start the first time without the double boot. What's going on here and how can I correct it?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What is the computer, OEM/Brand or Custom-built? There's any number of possibilities. On modern computer using ATX motherboards, the On|Off switch connects directly to the motherboard, the power supply connects to the motherboard and the On|Off switch tells the motherboard to get things started. The problems could be in the power supply, the motherboard, the switch itself, any USB drives plugged in, etc., etc. Can you get to the BIOS each time you try to start [prompt on the screen how-to]? The ATX boards have some power to them all the time the power cord is plugged in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

SalisburySenior (2016-10-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. The problem started with the upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7. The computer is a HP with some of the specs in the attached jpg file. Yes, I can get to the BIOS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One additional thing... I do have a card reader plugged into a USB port. I could try to reboot with the card reader removed, but the computer always seems to reboot OK during the day. The problem appears on the first boot in the morning after the computer is shut off for the night. I can remover the card reader the evening and see if the computer starts properly tomorrow morning without the card reader plugged in.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    SalSen, hello.
    Try and use hibernate instead of a shutdown. Nearly the same operation. If you do not see it, let us know and we will educate you. Have fun. Jean.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Try disabling Fast Start.
    Type Power in the search box.
    Click on Power Options
    Click on Choose what the power buttons do
    Click on Change settings that are currently un available
    Uncheck Turn on Fast Start

Jerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who replied. I've unchecked Fast Start and will see what happens tomorrow morning.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SalisburySenior View Post
    The problem appears on the first boot in the morning after the computer is shut off for the night.
    That suggests a temperature issue, have an older WinXP computer in one of the coldest rooms in our church that is quite sluggish after being shut down for a few days. After it's been on overnight it works quite well as it did when on my bench where the temp. was higher. I left a potential replacement in the same room for 4 days and started it this AM, one of the fans is a bit noisier than when on the bench, something to look at and is typical of 'cold storage' issues.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

SalisburySenior (2016-10-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think unchecking 'Fast Start' did the trick. The computer started on the first try this morning. Thanks for your help.