Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

OCR PDF not searchable on my Windows 10 Desktop

First posting and so hope all is right. Sure someone will adviseme if not.
    I have ABBYY FINE READER 11 (Professional Edition) and aimto scan various magazines, bought over many years and so taking up storagespace at home, thus if I succeed, giving me a double benefit, making thearticles searchable and reducing the amount of paper. I have no idea on whetherit is a conflict of programs I have or just a setting not enabled but it seemsI am not able to search a PDF on my (new in June) Windows 10 Desktop.
    I have confirmed that a test PDF saved after using AbbyyFine Reader as a searchable PDF is searchable on a friend’s laptop, my ownWindows 10 laptop, and also with interaction with Abbyy Customer Support, butit is NOT searchable for some reason on my Desktop.
    As I have quite a number of programs installed on theDesktop I had assumed there may be a conflict of interest with a free program Ihad installed, PDF-XCHANGE EDITOR (originally installed to convert a PDF toJpeg) but having just uninstalled this program still find the page is still notsearchable. I have also closed down the computer and re-started.
    Open this PDF in ADOBE ACROBAT READER and do a search within that program it thenfinds the word or phrase searched. However a search for the same words orphrase within the actual folder the PDF is stored within both in ‘MyPictures’ and just in case that is the problem, ‘My Documents’ does not!
    Any ideas please as to what I am doing wrong.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by George016 View Post
    First posting and so hope all is right. Sure someone will adviseme if not.
    I have ABBYY FINE READER 11 (Professional Edition) and aimto scan various magazines, bought over many years and so taking up storagespace at home, thus if I succeed, giving me a double benefit, making thearticles searchable and reducing the amount of paper. I have no idea on whetherit is a conflict of programs I have or just a setting not enabled but it seemsI am not able to search a PDF on my (new in June) Windows 10 Desktop.
    I have confirmed that a test PDF saved after using AbbyyFine Reader as a searchable PDF is searchable on a friend’s laptop, my ownWindows 10 laptop, and also with interaction with Abbyy Customer Support, butit is NOT searchable for some reason on my Desktop.
    As I have quite a number of programs installed on theDesktop I had assumed there may be a conflict of interest with a free program Ihad installed, PDF-XCHANGE EDITOR (originally installed to convert a PDF toJpeg) but having just uninstalled this program still find the page is still notsearchable. I have also closed down the computer and re-started.
    Open this PDF in ADOBE ACROBAT READER and do a search within that program it thenfinds the word or phrase searched. However a search for the same words orphrase within the actual folder the PDF is stored within both in ‘MyPictures’ and just in case that is the problem, ‘My Documents’ does not!
    Any ideas please as to what I am doing wrong.
    A supplementary question here as an afterthought.
    Can anyone recommend a search program that I can use insteadthat will be able to search for words within a PDF in a specific folder on my Desktop?
    Just googled and Fileseek program seems as if it might be okay but am wary ofdownloading a program. Any thoughts anyone please?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What program are you using to do the search that fails?
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can anyone recommend a search program that I can use insteadthat will be able to search for words within a PDF in a specific folder on my Desktop?
    Just googled and Fileseek program seems as if it might be okay but am wary ofdownloading a program. Any thoughts anyone please?
    Give Copernic Desktop Search a try - that link is for a 30-day trial, so even if you decide not to buy it you might get the information you want.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

George016 (2016-10-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    Give Copernic Desktop Search a try - that link is for a 30-day trial, so even if you decide not to buy it you might get the information you want.

Was just using the 'search quick access' area (top right in Windows 10) within File Explorer. Will have a look at Copernic though.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As to what program I was using, actually it was just the 'search quick access' that appears in the top right (Windows 10) within File Explorer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you sure the folder containing the files is included in the Windows Search Index? To check click the start button, type "search", click on "change how windows searches".
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    AstroGrep is an open source program that will search for character strings in text. 'AstroGrep supports regular expressions, versatile printing options, stores most recently used paths, etc.'

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have literally just downloaded the trial version of Copernic and now await for it to index my system. With the benefit of hindsight and looking at the falling value of sterling (I am in the UK) it is a shame I did not look into my issue weeks/months ago.

As to the Windows Search advice, I think so. I first navigated to the specific main folder in which I knew the word/group of words was contained and no success with the search. However I am now viewing tutorials on possibly improving 'windows searches' in case this may resolve my issue.

Just seen the AstroGrep suggestion. Thanks for that but have just checked their website and see that one of the possible upcoming features is the ability to search pdf's - still researching - and that is/will be one of the main requirements of my aim.

At least I now finally think I can see some light at the end of the tunnel and so thankyou for the advice.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might have better luck with a different reader, or even tools. Check PDF Readers and PDF Tools.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

George016 (2016-10-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thankyou for those two further links, they could be useful.

However my initial problem has been the searching and initial tests for the Copernic program seem that you might have truly helped with my solution. Really encouraging at this early stage, thankyou.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    George-
    I admit to having but ignoring the ABBY product for quite some time, being an old Acrobat acrolyte [sic] since it was first released.
    No one bothers to explain the whole context of PDF files, their variations, and how they may be intertwined. A PDF file can be any PostScript file that is literally sandwiched between a header and an end tag. So the native original file can actually be ASCII text, or binary, in which case it can also be a bitmap image or other graphic.
    Normally a scanner (doesn't matter what make or software) is going to store a bitmapped image in the PDF file wrapper. When you choose OCR, it brings in software that tries to do the OCR conversion, but then there are options. It can save the new version of the file as "original bitmap, plus OCR version" in one new file, which may or may not have the same file name. Or it can save the original file, and store the OCR version elsewhere, sometimes defaulting to same name in a different location.
    So, part of the problem may be that the file you think you want to look at, is not the right file. (Newer versions of Windows have gotten too clever about aliasing folder names and locations.)
    If you are sure that the file exists in one location only, and that it has the OCR content stored in ASCII form (because a binary PDF file is more compact, some software may store them that way, and that would defeat a normal "text" search), then as others have suggested, it may just be that file is next being indexed for searches. Indexing can be a background operation or "batched" it is not always instantaneous.
    I'd probably say to open the PDF file in a text editor, just to confirm that there IS plain ASCII text in it. That's fairly quick and simple.
    Then go on to confirm the indexing functions in the OS are set up to index as quickly as possible, and to include that folder location.
    If those two check out, then welcome to the world of PDF options.(G) They can be every bit worth exploring, because over the years they have become richer and richer, and "little" differences can mean things like files 1/10th the size of "wrong" files.
    Personally, I have an old old grudge with Adobe because they have NEVER understood the Windows OS, nor the NT OS. From Day One, they just never have understood how to work in Windows. And their latest blessing ("Reader DC") has nicely integrated electronic signatures (which have been legal under federal law since the Carter days!) but it also has become an 800# gorilla, which pre-empts and shuts out fully licensed users of older versions, that had more power, more features, and (funny thing) didn't keep nagging you to go online to buy more pieces.
    Still...the competition has gotten very good, but I still prefer the real Adobe products, personally. They still do set the standard.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thankyou 'Redd' for the detailed explanation.

At this stage everything seems to be coming together with 'Abby Fine Reader' and the searching, at the moment still with the trial version, of Copernic. Sadly, now long time retired, I have finally reduced my pile of various saved magazines ....... by one! Required pages had been scanned, processed by the Abby program and I have then double-checked by being able to search for specific phrases/words in the scanned pages. Something I had not been able to do before!

Must say that I am really pleased with that recommendation by 'dogberry' and finally, everything is starting to look good with my hope to finally reduce the pile of magazines.

George

New Lounger
    Thanks
    George-
    It possibly is barbaric to slaughter perfectly good books and magazines, but sometimes it has to be done. I also don't have the room for a proper walnut-paneled library in the mansion so not long ago, I took two milk crates of "I'm not getting rid of these" hardcover books down to a local commercial print shop and said "Can you please, very neatly, just slice the bindings off in the guillotine cutter?" Which he did very reasonably.
    And then the books went into the scanner, which generated bitmap PDF files, that got batch fed into Acrobat, which made OCR's PDF files out of them. I didn't proof them, because even the best OCR software is still something like 99.5% accurate, which would mean a couple of typos per page. But the books were typeset clearly to begin with, and I kept the bitmap files, so when and if I find a mistake and can't figure it out myself, I can always refer to the original image. Since they weren't physics formulas, I'm not too worried.(G)

And what was two milks crates, now fits on a USB stick, or an SD-micro card, the trick is to make sure it doesn't get lost.(G)

It takes some patience and practice, but it certainly can be done, and has been done for quite some time. Glad you got it to work for you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It has been a couple of weeks and so just thought I would provide some feedback as it may help others. Especially as I have just completed a successful first project.

For this I used an old Family History Annual Handbook that I saved for years in case it came in handy. Noted a number of articles that I thought may still be of interest and then scanned them to individual PDF's and subsequently ran them through the Abbyy Fine Reader program. Then using the 'Copernic' program that had been suggested previously I did a search for various words that appeared in the articles, 'Copernic' found them all, and using 'Acrobat Reader' in which the PDF's had been opened, a search with that actually highlighted the whereabouts of the specific words. So am really pleased and have now actually purchased 'Copernic'.

Interesting 'Redd' mentioning of taking two crates of books/magazines to a local Commercial Printer as recall someone else, again in the USA, saying that is what he had done. Did initially look locally in the UK but did not see anything - probably like my very old school reports 'must try harder'. Anyway another option to think about. Years back I also bought a whole set of weekly part magazines that are in several binders and these are on my 'to do' list. With these, it would be both sides that I would scan and so had been thinking of buying the Fujitsu 1300i ScanSnap. Just looked again and see the price has gone up quite a lot since I first looked. Well Amazon's Black Friday is coming up soon. Mind you, looking at the cost again, it will probably be more effective if I found a local Commercial Printer.

Anyway, thankyou Forum and thankyou Copernic.

George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast