New Lounger
    Thanks

Dual install Word 97/Word 2002 (Office 97 SR-2/Office XP)

I have a dual installation of Office 97 and Office XP. If I open a DOC file in Word 97 and then open the same file with Word 2002 or just double-click the DOC file I see the windows installer window for a minute before Word 2002 opens the file. Wha'ts being reinstalled? Is there a solution to this problem? DOC files are associated with Word 2002. This anomaly does not occur when opening XLS or PPT files in the 97 version and then opening them in the 2002 version.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual install Word 97/Word 2002 (Office 97 SR-2/Office XP)

In my private opinion, there is no need to keep both versions on the same machine. Anyway, there are some conflicting settings in Registry so Word2002 must repair itself after Word97 was launched.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Two versions of Office cannot FULLY co-exist in the same bootable partition.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you develop anything with VBA under your setup, unless you are very careful/lucky, you will find that you are in fact only developing under Office 2002. The Office 97 functionality will be blurred, as the Office 2002 components will have taken precedence. What may run on your Office 97 may turn out not to run on other machines with only Office 97 installed.

HTH
    Gre