Thread: Login problem

New Lounger
    Thanks

Login problem

A W7 family member's laptop recently started preventing login. In either the admin or user account, a password is already being filled and will not allow replacement. I would guess it's some kind of malware, though the user is a careful person.

I would guess that I need to get into the BIOS, though I don't know if Windows password are stored there. (You can see how much I know.) Would someone explain how I can get where I need to go to reset the admin account password so that I can login, reset the other password as well, and run Malwarebytes and SE? Other recommendations welcome.

Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To eliminate malware, create a Kaspersky Rescue Disk and boot up with that - the scan can take some so you'll have to be patient and I'll leave it to someone else to advise on passwords if the scan doesn't resolve.

https://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/rescuedisk

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When Sudo15 says it may take some time, he means it. Such rescue software is very thorough. Just let it run.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    If you see a password being entered automatically when you select one of the accounts then it could be a stuck key. This would also give the impression that it won't allow replacement (because a stuck key will input characters faster than you can remove them).

Whilst the laptop is switched off, try turning your hand over and running back and forth over all the keys with your fingernails to see if a stuck key is released.

Hope this helps...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2016-10-17),mrjimphelps (2016-10-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your responses. It appears to be a keyboard issue. I have had varied success logging in and operating once in; key presses sometimes bring up the wrong letter or open a utility. Today, the regular user loggged in (finally) and saw a message saying the keyboard was disconnected or something to that effect. That suggests, perhaps a connector or wiring issue? It's a Lenovo laptop, about 7 years old; it may well just be really dirty and need cleaning. Any suggestions on whether or not someone who has replaced a laptop screen might also be able to get to the keyboard? I am not one to be too adventurous in such matters.
    Again, thanks.

Thanks
    IMO, replacing a laptop's keyboard is much, much easier than replacing a laptop's screen... (and much, much cheaper).

Before you do anything else, try to work out (using Notepad or a keyboard checker like PassMark KeyboardTest) whether the issue is with just one key or a group of keys. For example, if a single key press brings up a utility then it's likely that an ALT or WIN key is sticking).

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulowin View Post
    Today, the regular user loggged in (finally) and saw a message saying the keyboard was disconnected or something to that effect.
    This confirms what Rick said in post #4. If somehow the keyboard got disconnected, then a stuck key won't do anything, because the keyboard is disconnected.