Lounger
    Thanks

Lost access to network folders

My home network consists of several Windows 7 Pro systems while the other 4 systems run Windows 10 Pro. My office computer (Win 10) has lost its ability to connect with the Observatory computer's (Win 7 Pro) shared drives while the other computers have no issue doing so. I use a program named Beyond Compare to copy files over to my processing computer and that happens to be the one that can't get to the computer. I can Remote Desktop into it without issue and all my other systems can connect as well. If I reboot the office computer and immediately open Beyond Compare I can access the observatory computer but not later. All drives are shared and permissions are set. I have NetBios enabled over TCP/IP as well. This worked quit well for a long time and then the AU came along. Seems it broke this connection. Any suggestions are much welcomed.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sreilly24590 View Post
    If I reboot the office computer and immediately open Beyond Compare I can access the observatory computer but not later.
    That statement makes me think your network card may be going to sleep but not waking up later when you need it. Open Device Manager, expand Network adapters, then right click on your network card shown and choose Properties from the menu that appears. Click on the Power Management tab, unselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". (If it's already unchecked, then we'll look elsewhere.)
    See if that works.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, it was checked and now is off but still no access. I didn't reboot but then rebooting lets me access the observatory drives normally just afterward.i

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems I've bumped into the possible reason for this issue. I have remote access to an observatory in California that I send imaging plans and transfer those files back when imaged. In order to use such features such as Remote Desktop and so on the VPN I sign into gives me this access. It seems that once I connect to this VPN, Watchguard Mobil VPN with SSL, it blocks my ability for my local computer to access my local network drive on my observatory. That said, I can still access all other shared drives on my network, just not the computer I need to. And that computer is not setup to log into the VPN but my laptop is and I can, just did, transfer files from that to my processing computer without issue. Both the observatory and laptop computers are Windows 7 Pro 64. On reboot of the processing computer I was able again to connect up until the time I started the VPN however disconnecting and closing the VPN has no effect in restoring this connection. It seems to require a reboot to flush out whatever is causing the problem. At least at this point I seem to know the cause and effect.

Lounger
    Thanks
    That was an incorrect conclusion as I have the same software (VPN) active on my Win 7 Pro laptop and have no issues going between these two computers. So something else is causing my problem. If I close the VPN, reboot, Beyond Compare works all day long. Open the VPN, close, and it won't work at all. Just on this one computer.. I can get the files over to this computer but indirectly.

Steve