iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Problems foil 'Safe Mode with Networking'

LangaList Plus

Problems foil 'Safe Mode with Networking'

By Fred Langa

Here's a simple solution for a PC that won't go into the Safe Mode with Networking mode or has some other system-level trouble.

Plus: Win10's System Restore app is disabled by default; here's how to activate it.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/problems-foil-safe-mode-with-networking/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    Last time I checked, the day the AU was released, SR was disabled. A few hours later, it was enabled - I had not changed it, my guess is that W10 had 'more pressing issues' to deal with before 'getting around' to enabling it after flushing the previous (non-AU) SR data.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I used 'system restore' on my windows 7 machine to defeat ransomeware. After everything locked up with a demand for ransom money, I held down the power button on my HP until it shut down. I then disconnected the ethernet cord, and turned the computer back on. I was able to log on, then opened 'system restore' and reset to 3 days earlier. I then scanned with MSE and Ccleaner from Piriform and found no threats. After restarting, I reconnected to the web and everything is working fine.

Lounger
    Thanks

Does Refresh roll back to a previous state?

Does Refresh roll back to a previous state or does it "just" heal system errors? I recently noticed that Geek Uninstaller listed two separate versions of Firefox, the 32-bit one and the 64-bit one. I figured I didn't need to waste space on the 32-bit version, so I uninstalled it and all the additional stuff attached. Imagine my dismay when I found the 64-bit version had also disappeared along with all my settings, bookmarks, history, and an online banking certificate! No Firefox at all, nada, as the folks across the pond might say (who says immigration doesn't contribute positively to culture? Actually, even over here in Europe we know who says that . . .).

The Refresh and Recovery don't seem to be designed to go back to before an uninstall operation, though it does appear you don't have to lose any existing programs (files should be on a backup anyway, so who cares if they disappear, right?), which is great if you're a giveawayoftheday fan with lots of neat software that can't be renewed for free.

Anyway, I used System Restore to go back a day---pure coincidence it was scheduled to run the day before I did the uninstall---and got my Firefox back with all its bookmarks, history, etc. But, oddly, not the certificate, which cost me 10 and a drive to town to re-order in person at the bank.

I have the Win 10 AU (no updating problem using the manual, non-ISO method a week or two ago), which still has the Win 7 association on the System Restore procedure and no clear (to me at least) directions for finding and starting the operation. It's odd that the steps I go through and screens I saw don't match anything I've read about the process, sort of like getting the AU without the All Apps taking up real estate on the Start screen: I have to click the hamburger to get the full list to appear. Which I like, of course, but everything I read said the displayed full list was standard.

Anyway, I finally got SR started and all was well eventually after the "leave the room and do something else to keep from screaming while watching the dotted wheel go round and round endlessly" break. But the question is, is there a simpler alternative method to recover from a mistaken uninstall?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In my opinion, it's hard to beat the safety of periodically imaging your hard drive (to an external drive used for storage of images).
    Regardless of what changes I make to my computer I can restore it to the state it was in yesterday, the day before yesterday, last week, a month ago, etc.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I reenabled System Restore/ Protection after the Win10 upgrade.
    However, I recently installed the AU update which did mess with a few settings and reinstalled a few apps I'd removed. (like Get Office)
    When I checked SR, it was off again and there was no space used (in other words, it had deleted prior restore points).

So thanks for the reminder.

As a note, AU would not install until I disabled all non-MS services.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ...is there a simpler alternative method to recover from a mistaken uninstall?
    Yes. You may, for example:

• Bang your hand with a hammer;
    • Learn to whittle;
    • Knit a sweater;
    • Troll a forum dealing with the US election.

You... you did just want an simpler alternative to leaving the room, to avoid looking at the swirling vortex of doom, did you not?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about the tiny troll, BH. Are you up working in the Fort from south of the border? I'd expect a tweet from the Master but I'm not on Twitter.

I gather a stored image or SR are the only ways to resurrect a program uninstalled by mistake. I just wondered if Reset would do the same thing.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you up working in the Fort from south of the border?
    Not quite sure which border you're talking about there, so I'll just answer my way. I work in both McMurray and Edmonton.

I should be the one apologizing, but I enjoy good nose tweak too much for that!