Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One issue I've always wondered about is: It seems that every application I download has a file in it for every known language and dialect known/unknown to Wo/Man. Is it necessary to keep these on the system or can they be eliminated?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philomel View Post
    One issue I've always wondered about is: It seems that every application I download has a file in it for every known language and dialect known/unknown to Wo/Man. Is it necessary to keep these on the system or can they be eliminated?
    If they're in a separate subfolder, compress the folder, it'll save some disk space. You can probably remove the language files that you don't need - but any update is likely to reinstall them again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philomel
    Most of the time, yes... you can delete them. (Note the qualifier "most of the time". )

I use a small, free, portable utility called DeleteNon-EnglishLanguageFiles to delete these files and reduce the size of system backups. It recurses through the HD and flags non-English files, e.g: ar-SA, bg-BG, cs-CZ, da-DK, de-DE, el-GR, es-ES, et-EE, fi-FI, fr-FR, he-IL, hr-HR, hu-HU, it-IT, ja-JP, ko-KR, lt-LT, lv-LV, nb-NO, nl-NL, pl-PL, pt-BR, pt-PT, ro-RO, ru-RU, sk-SK, sl-SI, sr-Latn-CS, sv-SE, th-TH, tr-TR, uk-UA, zh-CN, zh-HK, zh-TW

suggested.jpg
    Click to enlarge

It's then up to you which language files you select and delete. Check out this webpage on DonationCoder, particularly post #6 for the download links. The author is Derek Souers and I also use his DelReadmeFiles utility - again, it's small, free and portable.

Your profile doesn't show where you live but, if you are deleting files/folders manually then - even if you live in the heart of the UK - I suggest that you do not delete en-US language files. Even when you have region, keyboard and locale set to English (United Kingdom), Windows is still very US-centric.

Touch wood, I haven't had a problem yet.

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    - Yep, the usual "Windows Update" problem. Try this guide (with emphasis on "try") after you have started the Service celled "Wuauserv":

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index...ic,4799.0.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy2 View Post
    - Yep, the usual "Windows Update" problem. Try this guide (with emphasis on "try") after you have started the Service celled "Wuauserv":

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index...ic,4799.0.html
    One of my desktop PCs still has Vista SP2 on it (dual-boots w/ Win7) and by July was extremely slow checking for updates (10+ hours). In July I installed five updates that were then listed on the http://wu.krelay.de/en (KB3168965, KB3145739, KB3078601, KB3164033, and KB3109094) which helped, but Vista was still taking several hours to check for updates.

I looked at the tweaking.com page in your post and installed the two updates for Vista listed on the linked http://wu.krelay.de/en page (KB3191203 and KB3183431). After a restart I set WU checking for updates at 11:14AM and it finished checking at 11:39AM which is a considerable improvement.

And the wuauserv service seems to now be using much less memory.

EDIT: after installing the eight "important" and three of the four "optional" (I don't want Skype on this system) updates listed and a restart WU finished "checking for updates" in less than a minute!
    Last edited by Coochin; 2016-10-26 at 21:57. Reason: further comment
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philomel View Post
    Depends.
    - Those files are - on average - not too large. So, why bother ?
    - Try to find out which language file you need and delete the other ones.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you carried out any checks for overheating in case this is the cause (i.e. after 10-15 minutes)? Can you hear any fan activity?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12