Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

HP Wireless Network printer No longer Works from only Dell Desktop

I have been living with this issue for a couple of months and wish to now resolve issue with your help.

Issue:
    HP OfficeJet 4630 wireless printer no longer prints with my Dell D531 Desktop computer via WLAN, however works
    with all other WLAN connected devices, e.g., cellphones, netbook, laptop, and tablets. The print spooler

What I have done to fix issue without success:
    1) Uninstalled/re-installed wifi printer several times on Desktop;
    2) Reconnected HP printer to WLAN couple of times;
    3) Properties for both desktop and printer show the same internet address;
    4) Tried using MS Fixit printer trouble/diagnostic tools with no success (doesn't find issue); and
    5) Read through this and other forums with no help so far.

System:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    RAM 4Gb
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.0.13, 2/9/2009 (Latest)
    Graphics Name NVIDIA GeForce 210

Any reasonable advice is appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried updating/reinstalling the wireless drivers in the Dell desktop for its wireless adapter ?

Thanks
    There are two ways to set up a wireless network printer:
    1) The printer and all other devices connected to the router (either wired or wirelessly), and the router manages the connectivity between all devices.
    2) Devices connect directly to the printer without having to go through the router.

I can't tell for sure from reading your post how you are trying to print to the printer, but the way I always set things up is to connect the printer via the router, and then find it from each device via the router. I almost always have success that way; the only time I have not had success is with my Canon Selphy printer. I can connect only one device at a time to it. If I connect my desktop to it (via the router), then my laptop can't find it. If I connect my laptop to it, then my desktop can't find it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bob3677
    3) Properties for both desktop and printer show the same internet address
    If both your desktop and the printer have the same IP address then doesn't your desktop display an error on the network icon in the Notification Area or desktop?

ip_address_conflict.png
    Click to enlarge

... or have I misunderstood?

Thanks
    Rick, I think he means both the printer maintenance panel and the desktop printer properties show the same IP address for the printer.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka
    Rick, I think he means both the printer maintenance panel and the desktop printer properties show the same IP address for the printer.
    ROFL... I thought I had it wrong. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does it print if you switch the printer on before you switch the desktop on ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HP has a utility called Print & Scan Doctor that you could download from their website. Give it a try.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JJDetroit For This Useful Post:

bob3677 (2016-10-27)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I had a problem with my Wifi Printer because i upgraded to Win10. So i had to find the new Win10 Drivers for my epson workforce.
    1st removed the old drivers,shut down the printer and shut down my modem. Restarted the Modem,made sure my printer was no longer on the WIFI. Installed the new Epson Driver package and installed as a WIFI connected printer. After that in ran awesome from any device i had in the house,,like my other laptop or of course my desktop,,all are run off WIFI.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for trying but I have tried all suggestions.

I have done some additional checking and when I try to print
    1) Printer Icon pops up and says "0 document(s) - pending for Bob desktop"
    2) other pop-ups show pages being sent to printer
    3) what might block print pages to actually be sent or
    4) what might cause the printer to not receive the print pages

Also:
    Didn't understand "Sudo15 - Does it print if you switch the printer on before you switch the desktop on ? "

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What I meant was, have you tried switching the printer on before you switch the desktop machine on to see it will print then.

Have you checked in Services to see if the Print Spooler is set to Automatic and is Started/Running.

If you have something stuck in the print queue, that can stop printing any other docs but that doesn't seem to tally with the error messages you are getting although that could be worth checking.

If a machine detects printer problems then there's usually something recorded in Event Viewer to view.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Did you set your printer up properly for sharing over the home network. If you dont the printer wont see your device. Ive had that happen before. I had to go into my homegroup and set my sharing properties.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Other Devices Work On WLAN

Thanks Weedhopper, but six other devices my family use print to the same printer without issues so as I see it the issue can't be the printer and must be something wrong with my Dell desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedhopper View Post
    Did you set your printer up properly for sharing over the home network. If you dont the printer wont see your device. Ive had that happen before. I had to go into my homegroup and set my sharing properties.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    What I meant was, have you tried switching the printer on before you switch the desktop machine on to see it will print then.

Have you checked in Services to see if the Print Spooler is set to Automatic and is Started/Running.
    Yes, I have

If you have something stuck in the print queue, that can stop printing any other docs but that doesn't seem to tally with the error messages you are getting although that could be worth checking.
    Not sure how to check print spooler, but don't think that is problem.

If a machine detects printer problems then there's usually something recorded in Event Viewer to view.
    You may have something with Event Viewer, I checked local event logs and have been getting lots of 372 errors so I have placed log images in a doc file attached if you so choose to review the General info and details info.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    @ bob3677

Have looked at your Word doc; "Event ID 372" appears to be to do with Windows' "Print Spooler".

I have attended two-or-three customers who were unable to print to their network printers w/ very similar symptoms as you describe. In those cases the fix was to clear the "Print Spooler" cache; i.e.: delete the contents of the "C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS" folder.

You will probably need to go to "Control Panel\Folder Options" and on the "View" tab click the "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" option. Then in Explorer go to "C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS" and delete all contents.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast