Thanks

Mozy vs. IDrive - Can anyone give me some insight

First, let me admit that I'm cheap

I've been using Mozy Home for a number of years now because they offer 2 GB of storage for free and I've never had a problem with Mozy backing up or restoring important files. However, I seem to be running into the 2 GB limit more and more despite the fact that I've removed quite a large number of files from my backup set. I ran into an article today that suggested that iDrive might be an alternative to Mozy Home as it offers 5 GB of free storage vs. Mozy's 2 GB of free storage. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has used both Cloud storage options that can give me any pro's or con's regarding iDrive over Mozy.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Moondoggy,

First, I have to admit I can't answer your question...sorry. I did want to let you know, however, that I have the exact same issue as you: want to avoid cost of Mozy.

I upgraded a couple of years ago to get more storage (like you I kept coming up against the 2 GB limit and found trying to reduce file size too time consuming). I now pay around $70/year for Mozy Home, paid storage. It works great, as did the free version, but I want to minimize costs.

Have you yet found a better solution? If I do in my current search, I'll post back.

Good luck,

Linda

Thanks
    I believe an important consideration is, how long will the company be around. If they are likely to go out of business next week, then I wouldn't bother with them. However, if they will be around for years to come, then I would give them strong consideration.

Both of these companies advertise heavily on national radio programs; therefore, they probably have large user bases. So I don't think you have anything to worry about with either one of them.

If you like Mozy, I would suggest that you stick with them, because you are familiar with them.

As far as free, I don't go for free anti-virus or free online backups. I'd rather pay someone for their efforts, than have them sell my personal information in order to get paid.

Thanks
    I kept my 2 GB account with Mozy but I also decided to test drive the 5 GB free service from IDrive. Both are similar in their ease of use and functionality but that being said, I personally like Mozy better but I'm getting 3 more GB of storage with IDrive. At this point, I don't know if I'll drop one or keep both.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Just saw responses. Appreciate the input and understand what you mean re. paying vs. free, Mr. Jim.

I checked Mozy and my backup is around 3 GB so I hate to pay for just one more GB. I do know that I've been puzzling over this issue a few years ago, and tried Cubby and SkyDrive (is that different from IDrive?) on Loungers' advice. Both were confusing to set up compared to Mozy, which is how I ended up biting the bullet and going for their paid version.

Have also researched the external hard drive route. Drives seem to cost more than Mozy's $70 (although you have them for more than one year) and I suspect backing up would not be automatic, as it is with Mozy.

Will check out IDrive to see if Moondoggy's solution could work.

Still trying to find best path forward...will post back once I have.

Thanks for your responses,

Linda

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Linda: One thing I do is visit the company's support site and check out the kinds of questions or problems people are posting. That might give you a sense of how good the product is. To mrjimpbelps post above, the viability of the company is important. Mozy is part of EMC (a company well-known to us old mainframe guys) and EMC is now part of Dell, so Mozy isn't going away. I've used it for several years myself (paid version) and while it's had its moments, it's generally stable and reliable. I think if you care enough to want to back-up your data, you don't want to do it on the cheap.

A coworker uses a cloud product called Crashplan and swears by it.

An external USB disk isn't a bad idea either. If you want to go that route, check out a 100% free program called "Cobian Backup". I used to use it and to me, it was commercial-grade software.

Rob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Have also researched the external hard drive route. Drives seem to cost more than Mozy's $70 (although you have them for more than one year) and I suspect backing up would not be automatic, as it is with Mozy.
    Linda: Actually, an external hard drive is an excellent solution and I highly recommend them being a part of your backup plan. In my opinion the price point on a 2 TB hard drive is now pretty low and I use mine to back up my whole hard drive with Acronis TrueImage. Acronis has saved my bacon many times as I've been able to restore my laptop's hard drive many times. In addition with Acronis you can double click on the archive and Acronis will mount the backup as a virtual hard drive where you can drag a file or folder from the archive back to your physical drive with ease. Acronis can also do scheduled, incremental backups of your whole drive as well but I don't do that as I keep my external drive off line in the event that I get infected with ransomware. This is where Mozy and IDrive come into the picture as I use them to backup my email file (i.e. Outlook.pst), my Quicken data file, and any other file that is or might be changing on a daily basis. In other words, I might backup my whole hard drive with Acronis on a monthly basis and then use Mozy and IDrive to backup the files that are changing frequently. If I needed to restore my hard drive the system would be 30 days old but after restoring the other files I need from Mozy and IDrive my system would, at most, only be 1 day or less old. Note that Acronis also does Cloud backups of your whole drive but they charge for the service which is why I gravitated toward the free storage options.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 1,019 Posts
    Maybe you should check out another*external drive and use it for File History.*
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your detailed response and directions, Moondoggy. I do monthly (well, mostly monthly...that's the goal and I try!) image backups using Macrium Reflect to an external hard drive used solely for that purpose.

Like you, the Mozy backup is for files that change more often.

Maybe you should check out another*external drive and use it for File History.*
    Not sure if this if for Moondoggy or me...or both of us??

I think Joe means that we each could get a second hard drive and use it for current Mozy/IDrive backups. Yes?

Still working on a solution that works and is not too tricky to set up...appreciate your input as always.

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Update on Mozy Backup

Hi all,

Somehow it got to be March...thought it was time to update you on what's happened on my end re. Mozy et al.

Until I can research a way to reduce my Mozy file size to its free size (from 3.2 to 2.0 GB) or find a less expensive alternative, I've put Mozy on a monthly renewal schedule. That way, backing up is still occurring in a safe and known way until I can decide on best solution. Still do Macrium Reflect backups on the external drive.

As an aside, backing up is another area that is not well understood by non tech types such as I. We have some idea of what it's all about, but not enough to be sure about what to do. In my case, I'm quite sure I'm backing up a good deal of stuff that is not needed or outdated, but don't know enough to determine what that is or how to fix it. I know more research would fix that, but time is always the issue. There are myriad issues needing research in any 2 person business...as all you Loungers know so well!

Anyway, as always, your suggestions and support are hugely appreciated. Will post back with a final resolution...once it has appeared.

Linda

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 1,010 Posts
    If you are on a network then you can get a router that will allow you to connect an external disk, or use a network connected external disk and use that for your daily backups. Then you could backup the network drive to an external drive regularly, along with an image if you want.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    I'm quite sure I'm backing up a good deal of stuff that is not needed or outdated, but don't know enough to determine what that is or how to fix it.
    1. Image your C: drive and store the image on a different physical disk—it won't be accessible on C: if your C drive crashes.

2. Backup the \Users folder from C. This will have most of your settings, plus your desktop, browser favorites, etc. If you ever have to reinstall Windows from scratch—ie not just restoring an old image [eg it was corrupt]—copying that over the default new mostly empty \Users folder will help a lot.

3. Backup your personal files—docs, images etc.

You want at least one physical disk apart from the C drive to store the image, and of course it can store the backups too. Strongly recommend a separate external drive too, in case your motherboard blows and takes down all your internal drives—that's happened to me twice in 20 years.

My storage setup:
    1x Smaller SSD for C: for OS and programs [typically between 64gig and 256gig];
    1x Larger HD for data and OS image [typically 1TB + whatever size your media files will be];
    1x External USB drive for Data drive backup and OS image;
    Ample cloud space on my paid business hosting account for online backup.

The small C: drive makes regular imaging feasible [doesn't take hours] and reduces the images footprint so you can keep more than 1-2 images.
    SkyDrive (is that different from IDrive?)
    Yes, SkyDrive is from MS, now called OneDrive.

My personal preference is to straight copy into my backups—the result of two-too-many failed or corrupted restore operations from backup sets. That's why I use Comodo desktop client which includes simple copy among the more usual choices. I'm not concerned about space, so losing compression is not a problem—if it was, I'd zip.

I used Mozy for a while at least 10 years ago, it was good back then too. Then I got more diskspace with my websites account, so I've backed up there ever since.

Options to keep using reliable free resources:

ZIPping your backups might make them smaller—depends on degree of compression already in the backup program.

Google Drive provides 15gig
    MS OneDrive 5gig
    Asus WebStorage 5gig
    Dropbox 2gig
    Apple iCloud 5gig
    Box 10gig

There are loads of others, those are just the names I recognize as the most reliable. If you have decent upload speeds, you could even use 2 such places, backing up to each alternately—that way a company disappearing shouldn't leave you hanging.

Do consider how and how quickly you could retrieve your files if you need to. If you could need them urgently, then you need a place which will eg copy to a HD and overnight it to you.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1703; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 1TB HD

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. We are on a small home network and do have a router (for wifi). I'd likely just use an external hard drive.

As for Lugh's fabulous and detailed explanation and suggestions...thanks so much. You have a lot of information which I will take some time to digest. I especially appreciate the list of reliable free resources and their limits. I'll post back once I've taken the time to go through all your suggestions and research the free options.

Thanks again for your help,

Linda