New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update files on HD but not installed

There are 25 folders on my HD. Each folder contains Windows update files, but when I run Windows update, it tells me Windows Update has never been run. When I run the updater it checks for files, but that updater runs until I close it and finds nothing. Any suggestions? I followed the ad to "Fix Windows® Update" and installed that program -- Tech Utilities. Maybe a waste of money. It indicated that there were a few thousand issues to fix, but it did not change my Windows Update status.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-10-19 at 03:50. Reason: Removing dodgy ad link.

Thanks
    Keep well clear of any ad claiming to 'fix' anything, they use scareware tactics to try to convince users that the software is 'useful', rarely do they ever fix anything, mostly they take your money and run.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'd see if you can get your money back from that program and give the free WSUS Offline Update a go which may also resolve your future update problems because of installing the Windows Update Agent KBs.

When it has installed all that it has found, go to Windows Update where you should see any outstanding ones waiting to download and install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

http://download.wsusoffline.net/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-10-19 at 05:05.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Then why does Windows Secrets allow the ad?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll try it. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irvson View Post
    Then why does Windows Secrets allow the ad?
    A company called Penton now owns Windows Secrets. Like most companies, they try to make a profit and renting ad space is one of the methods most commonly used. The problem could be the ad broker(s), some are fooled by companies placing legitimate and relevant ads but, once accepted, they can sometimes switch the ads. Unless you make a complaint about the specific ad with the URL it points to, no one in authority would likely discover it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the money back. Thanks.
    I have used WSUSofline. It downloaded a couple of hundred files. Is there a way to get Windows Update to use these files? Update's "restore hidden files" doesn't do this.

Thanks
    Tech Utilities is a Registry Cleaner with a somewhat spotty reputation. These things are advertised as a cure all for MS woes. In reality they just remove old registry keys - and often keys that are still required which causes even more problems.

The first thing you should try when fixing update problems is the built in troubleshooter provided by MS.

http://www.howtogeek.com/247380/how-...it-gets-stuck/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Irvson: Does Windows Update searches "for ever" with high CPU & memory usage ?

Thanks
    I have used WSUSofline. It downloaded a couple of hundred files. Is there a way to get Windows Update to use these files? Update's "restore hidden files" doesn't do this.
    Before anything, have a look at this post: Quick way to update Win 7 for all of 2016 as it may answer some questions.

1. WSUS Offline Update is a great utility but, contrary to common misperception, it is NOT an alternative to Windows Update. Its sole purpose is to quickly get a new Windows installation to a state where it's safe to connect to the Internet, for example - to use Windows Update (or Microsoft Update), nothing more.

As a result, by default, WSUS Offline Update only downloads/installs 'Critical' and security-related patches, not every 'Important', 'Recommended' or 'Optional' ones.

2. Once you have used WSUS Offline Update to download updates (using UpdateGenerator.exe), it's time to apply the updates. First, temporarily disable any AV product you are using, as this will slow the installation of updates considerably. Next, within the WSUS Offline Update folder, open the Client folder, right-click on UpdateInstaller.exe and choose Run as administrator from the context menu.

I've found that the easiest way to use WSUS Offline Update is to run UpdateInstaller.exe and select Automatic reboot and recall. A warning will appear to let you know UAC will be disabled temporarily. You can then kick off the install and walk away. When you return you should find the updates have all been completed.

wsus_recall.png
    Click to enlarge

If the device doesn't support automatic continuation, for example, if it won't boot with a USB stick/HD attached then you can always copy the Client folder to the device then delete the folder after the update. This may not be an option for devices with only a small amount of storage (currently my client folder is just over 23GB because I download updates for several legacy products as well as current. YMMV).

Note that using Automatic reboot and recall creates a WSUSAdmin account that, very occasionally, may not be automatically removed. I've been using WSUS Offline Update for many years and have only had this happen once, about 2 years ago. Full recovery instructions can be found in the FAQ webpage.

3. After your selected updates have been applied, use Windows Update to finish off. As WSUS Offline Update will have installed updates to Windows Update itself there's a very good chance that it will now work as expected. If not then follow Calimanco's advice in post #8 about using the built-in troubleshooter.

4. Once you have brought your device up-to-date and re-booted at least twice, post a screenshot of the folders in the root of C:. There's a good chance that the 25 folders you mentioned in your first post are remnants of failed installations that, IMO, can be safely deleted... but check back here first before you do any deletions.

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I appreciate the detailed response. I followed your instructions, but unfortunately Windows Update still doesn't work.

Thanks
    I appreciate the detailed response. I followed your instructions, but unfortunately Windows Update still doesn't work.
    I'm going to guess that you're replying to my post #10. In what way does Windows Update still not work? Can you provide a better description? Did WSUS Offline Update complete successfully? Is Windows Update stuck at 'Searching for updates' or is there an error message?