iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Pump up your computer-security awareness

On Security

Pump up your computer-security awareness

By Tracey Capen

This is National Cyber Security Awareness Month. Time to take a comprehensive measure of your computing vulnerabilities.

Here's an update on anti-malware tools, the state of phishing, and privacy when social networking.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/pump-up-your-computer-security-awareness/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You didn't mention sites that offer to trace your genealogy ... based, of course, on personally identifying information that you provide. I would imagine the data collected would be invaluable to identity thieves.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing I like to do every few months is check what third-party apps have access to my Facebook account (Privacy --> More settings --> Apps). If you haven't checked there recently you might be surprised to see how many other companies have access to your data. The first time I checked this I found over 40 companies that had FB apps in my profile.

This typically comes from logging into a separate website using your FB identity. This is very convenient because you don't have to create a separate login for the third-party service but it comes at a cost. Your data is shared with more companies. Personally, I prefer to create a separate login for each website.

These FB apps can also come from other places like Spotify which requires you to allow it access to your FB data.

If you see apps in your FB profile that shouldn't be there you can remove them. Just be aware that you may lose some functionality with the third-party service.

Thanks
    LOL, I think I am the only one in the world that hasn't used social media like FB or twitter or others. Everyone I know ( relatives/friends/acquaintances ) keep nagging me to join but I have held off so far.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

Bambinoo (2016-10-27)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No social media for me either. And yeah, the genealogical site exposure has occurred to me too. The lure there is strong--the sites offer to plug you into known family trees that others have traced. If they can make a match then you can make a lot of progress very rapidly.

The potential trouble is exactly as you described it. A fraudster could do the same research on a victim and pose as a family friend or family member. Or avoid the family contact entirely and simply drain your bank accounts, rob your house, and let loose a mob of angry debtors against you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

Bambinoo (2016-10-27)