Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows users face update bloat, and tough choices

http://www.computerworld.com/article...h-choices.html

New cumulative updates for Windows 7 will swell to 500MB a month, Microsoft acknowledges.
    Windows 10's cumulative updates have ballooned in size, and a similar bloat will also affect the Windows 7 updates that Microsoft revamped this month.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Following the first Win 7 Cumulative Update of 119MB, I ran Disk Cleanup as an admin and it cleaned out 616MB of obsolete updates, so it does have a balancing act.

That was followed though by an out of date one of 120MB - a Preview of the roll up I think of which there was very little for Disk Cleanup to remove.

I believe Win 10 cleans up its own WinSxS folder but you can do it manually with the elevated cmd -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

but it can take a while to scan.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Why is it a tough choice? WU will most likely check for installed updates and only download the most current uninstalled updates as is currently done for cumulative rollups.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Why is it a tough choice? WU will most likely check for installed updates and only download the most current uninstalled updates as is currently done for cumulative rollups.
    For me it was a tough choice because the cumulative update contains the data-harvesting capability (AKA telemetry) that I've been avoiding so far (by hiding KB2952664, KB3021917, KB3068708 & KB3080149).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How many unaware people that have Windows 7 and 8 may have Windows Update set on auto and don't realize it is messed up and not updating? MS has turned updates into a real mess. As this cumulative update grows in size how many people with how many people will simply quit updating? Has anybody tried running Windows Update this month to see what's there?
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe S; 2016-10-20 at 13:52.

Thanks
    Why is it a tough choice?
    As this cumulative update grows in size how many people with how many people will simply quit updating?
    For me it was a tough choice because the cumulative update contains the data-harvesting capability (AKA telemetry) that I've been avoiding so far (by hiding KB2952664, KB3021917, KB3068708 & KB3080149).
    There-in lies the choice, especially for people with limited bandwidth ( example: Satellite internet ). Personally, I think it's MS's way to further push W7/8 user's to adopt the W10 OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    There-in lies the choice, especially for people with limited bandwidth ( example: Satellite internet ). Personally, I think it's MS's way to further push W7/8 user's to adopt the W10 OS.
    Maybe we'll see a resurgence of media sent by post "Your monthly Windows Update DVD".
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-10-20 at 14:57.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    How many unaware people that have Windows 7 and 8 may have Windows Update set on auto and don't realize it is messed up and not updating?
    My guess is that it's not messed up for people with Windows Updates set to automatic.

Thanks
    They'll be running W10 now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    KB2952664 didn't come hidden in the Win 7 Roll up - it was separate which I hid - there's no way of knowing what the Win 10 Cumulative one had in it though.

They may be MS's way of countering people turning off as much as they can in the Custom install.

Thanks
    The only thing I ran on WU day was MSRT. I'm waiting until there are reports of how the rollups did. Susan said that it may be a couple of weeks until she can report on them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I installed both the Rollup and Preview but I'm not really bothered about what MS include for Win 7 as I rarely use that machine these days.

As KB2952664 was separate then being paranoid about the Rollup or the Preview may not be necessary.

Thanks
    It does bother me about what goes in the W7 updates because they are still my main machines, I only put W10 on 1 HP laptop and kept it at 1511 for now. I only use it every few days until I see how this whole W10 thing plays out. I'm becoming very disappointed in MS's new business model and aggressiveness, but who knows what will happen.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well apart from a few IE hangs/freezes since the latest update, 1607 14393.321 seems to be working okay, although that can be annoying as I only use my laptops for the Internet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15
    I installed both the Rollup and Preview but I'm not really bothered about what MS include for Win 7 as I rarely use that machine these days.

As KB2952664 was separate then being paranoid about the Rollup or the Preview may not be necessary.
    Our circumstances are very different then. After becoming quite concerned about the everchanging look-and-feel of Windows 10 to date plus well-publicised issues with (forced) updates (despite internal and 'Insider' testing), I decided Win 10 was not yet stable enough for my tastes and reverted my main PC back to Windows 7.

I take my hat off to the 'Insiders' but I just want a stable, error-free PC that I can work on, not experiment with... and that doesn't keep changing behind my back without so much as a 'by your leave'. In my opinion that's just rude and indicative of how Microsoft value their customers these days.

Furthermore, I don't consider it 'paranoia' to resent Microsoft's telemetry data taking up the 'upload' bandwidth that *I* pay for but respect your opinion that it's fine by you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast