Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Insider Preview build 10.0.14951.1000 released to FAST ring

See Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14951 for Mobile and PC for features, fixes, and known problems.
    Joe

Thanks
    I think the following "known issue for PC" is worth noting before deciding to install this particular update/build:

"If you have a 3rd party antivirus product installed on your PC – your PC might not be able to complete the update to this build and roll-back to the previous build".
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As of 09:30 today, I have two machines running 14951 and no issue at all. It is quick.

Joe, hello. Somewhere it says that I can D/L to other machines on my LAN. How can one do this without being directly connected ? See .jpg, please.

Opt..jpg

A nice day to you. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    As of 09:30 today, I have two machines running 14951 and no issue at all. It is quick.

Joe, hello. Somewhere it says that I can D/L to other machines on my LAN. How can one do this without being directly connected ? See .jpg, please

A nice day to you. Jean.
    I've never used this so this is only a guess. All PCs you wish to update and the PC which houses the update must be set as in your screenshot.
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for your time.
    All my machines are set as per that screen shot but nothing takes place in this endeavour. I can and I do, do without. But still I am curious and if it could be done, it would be great.

14951 is great here. Be good. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If they are all set that way how do you know it is not being used?
    Joe

Thanks
    I have done a few informal tests to see how/if this machine-to-machine- via a "common net" works. In my case, I have three machines (2 "real" and one "virtual") on the same wired network. All are set up to make use of the "network sharing of Windows updates". So far, I have observed that when a Windows 10 Update is released, it is downloaded 3 times, (according to the data consumption meter at my Service Provider). My process:

On a Wednesday morning (updates are available here in South Africa from midnight Tue/Wed) I boot up one machine and manually check for updates. If there is one, I note the data consumption figure on my service provider's web site before and after the download and installation. I then boot up the second machine and manually check for updates. After the update has been installed, I once again note data usage as recorded by my service provider. I do the same for the third machine. As I boot up the second and third machine, I verify that all machines on the network can see" each other. So far, the downloaded updates have always been "fresh" from Microsoft for each of the 3 machines.

I think it is fair to assume that this indicates that no sharing of a single download is occurring between machines within my local network. Or am I wrong in this assumption?
    Last edited by petesmst; 2016-10-21 at 06:03. Reason: Correctd typos
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ for more information on how this works. From the FAQ:

"PCs on your local network. When Windows downloads an update or app, it will look for other PCs on your local network that have already downloaded the update or app using Delivery Optimization. Windows then downloads parts of the file from those PCs and parts of the file from Microsoft. Windows doesn’t download the entire file from one place. Instead, the download is broken down into smaller parts. Windows uses the fastest, most reliable download source for each part of the file."
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    I think the following "known issue for PC" is worth noting before deciding to install this particular update/build:

"If you have a 3rd party antivirus product installed on your PC – your PC might not be able to complete the update to this build and roll-back to the previous build".
    It is definitely worth mentioning that before updating any machine all third party antivirus products should be turned off or uninstalled. Basically Defender is the only antivirus you will ever need. All the other antivirus products do is slow performance, and wreck havoc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson
    Basically Defender is the only antivirus you will ever need. All the other antivirus products do is slow performance, and wreck havoc.
    Facts, figures, references and links? Otherwise it's just your opinion, with nothing to support it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-10-21)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Basically Defender is the only antivirus you will ever need. All the other antivirus products do is slow performance, and wreck havoc.
    A ridiculous generalization.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

I had it fail 3 times. Then I disabled Malwarybytes Premium, RoboForm, and Macrium Reflect and then it worked. Don't know which one, most likely malwarebytes, was the problem but it was obviously one of them. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

I had it fail 3 times. Then I disabled Malwarybytes Premium, RoboForm, and Macrium Reflect and then it worked. Don't know which one, most likely malwarebytes, was the problem but it was obviously one of them. HTH
    Malwarebytes on a Windows phone?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

RG, the latest insider builds fail with Malwarebytes Pro with an mwac.sys driver error. I can't get even MalwareBytes Free to install even if I uninstall with mbam clean first. It keeps trying to install the free Pro trial. I no longer get the radio button that allow the install without the Pro trial.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jerry,

I didn't have any problem reinstalling MB Premium after I got ..951 loaded. I was getting a BSOD!

BruceR, I didn't say anything about a phone.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast