New Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard disappears after updates

I have an original IBM P/S2 keyboard connected via a P/S2 to USB adapter that plugs into a multiport USB splitter that extends the 2 USB ports on my laptop. This works very well - except right after I get the monthly Microsoft update to Widows 10. When the system reboots, it can no longer get inputs from the keyboard. If I unplug the keyboard and move it to another of the USB ports on the splitter, I can usually find a port that works. This is just weird. I do not use any special drivers for this keyboard or the USB 8-port splitter. Any ideas?

Thanks
    It sounds like the USB port goes dead somehow when you get the update; then, by unplugging it and then plugging it into a different port, it is starting fresh, in effect, a reset of the USB connection.

I have no idea why this is happening, but here are some things I would consider:

* Does your USB splitter draw power from the USB connection, or does it have its own power adapter? Those which have their own power, which do not depend on the USB connection for their power, will be more reliable sometimes. In other words, if it doesn't have its own power adapter, consider getting one with its own power adapter. (This doesn't sound like what is happening here, but you might get lucky and fix it by trying this.)

* What is the brand of your PS/2 to USB adapter? Some of them are better than others. I used a Belkin adaptor for many years for my IBM PS/2 keyboard, and it was almost always reliable. I recently purchased a different brand from Amazon.com after reading the product descriptions and the reviews, and it is very reliable. But I can't think of the brand name, and I'm not at home right now to check.

* You may be able to get a docking station or port replicator with PS/2 ports for your laptop. If you can find something like that, you can dispense with the adapter and plug your keyboard directly into the docking station / port replicator. USB is not a perfectly mature technology. It doesn't always work. However, PS/2 ALWAYS works, if you follow the rules -- power down, plug it in, power up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dickcaro View Post
    right after I get the monthly Microsoft update to Widows 10. When the system reboots, it can no longer get inputs from the keyboard.
    Clarification: other times you reboot, you have no keyboard problem--is that correct?

Assuming 'Yes', then it's unlikely to be a hardware problem. However, Jim's first comment about a self-powered USB splitter is good practice anyway, I have found this far more reliable than unpowered.

I have a similar setup, an 8-port powered USB splitter housing my cable keyboard, plus dongles for a couple of wireless mice and a wireless headset. No issues so far during Win10 updates.

Do you have anything else plugged in via the splitter, and is that affected?

I haven't had time to play with Win10 yet, so I can't offer anything else.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    Lugh: One of my points was that USB is not a perfect technology; on occasion it fails. And it may not be a hardware failure; it may be a Windows failure - perhaps the driver got somehow corrupted. However, I have never known PS/2 to fail. In case there is a USB glitch, he could work around it by connecting his PS/2 keyboard straight to the computer, bypassing USB in the process.

I have had two computers where USB failed, and in both cases I lost my keyboard and mouse. Fortunately, both computers had PS/2 ports, and I was able to scrounge up a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, so I was back in business. In one case, the built-in USB ports died, and I solved it by installing a USB card (and gained some USB3 ports in the process). (By the way, about three months after they died, they came back to life without any intervention on my part. That seems to be related to Windows updates.) In the other case, as I recall I only needed to uninstall and then reinstall the USB driver.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-10-24 at 17:04.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

dickcaro (2016-10-27)