Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 will not permit Chrome as default browser

Microsoft installed updates on 10/17 and on 10/18 I was unable to log on with either my PIN or my password. I tried several low level things to correct matters but nothing worked. I won't go into that any more because I finally had to use the system refresh feature to even get into the system. After finishing the system refresh I was left with the original Windows 10. I updated it fully, and now have all available updates on the system. Next I started putting applications back on the system and when I got to putting Chrome back I found that the system would not let me change the default browser setting. If I click on a web link anywhere the system opens Edge; I would give Edge a shot except for the fact that I'm a long time user of Roboform and Edge will not accept it as an extension. I can, of course run Chrome on a case basis by using the application shortcut. Every time it is opened I'm reminded that it is not the default browser and if I try to change it I am unable to do so. In the System Settings pane the "Web Browser" selection button is a + sign in a grayed out box with the words "Choose a Default" beside it. If you click on it you are presented with a list including Edge, Chrome, Internet Explorer and "Look for an app in the Store." Clicking on Chrome does absolutely nothing. I have tried several other ways that should allow the change to be made but nothing works. Can anyone offer a way to get into a backdoor and fix this undesirable annoyance?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Win10 AU all up to date, and was able to change my default browser from Firefox to Chrome without any apparent problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    John, Thanks for the reply. Happily, I have found the answer to my problem. Because it was so weird I decided to try something outside the box. I uninstalled Chrome completely from my system and reinstalled it with a newly downloaded copy. That did the trick for me, I was immediately able to set it as the default browser and things are working nicely. This thread can be closed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecebee View Post
    John, Thanks for the reply. Happily, I have found the answer to my problem. Because it was so weird I decided to try something outside the box. I uninstalled Chrome completely from my system and reinstalled it with a newly downloaded copy. That did the trick for me, I was immediately able to set it as the default browser and things are working nicely. This thread can be closed.
    Thanks for reporting back what you found. You can close the thread from the Thread Tools dropdown:

mark_thread_as_solved.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...