New Lounger
    Thanks

'Open With' command not available in Explorer

In Windows Explorer, why do some unassociated files give the "Open with" option, while others do not? We think it is a registry hack, but unsure where. Some files with no extension give the "open with" option, but others do not.

Many of our files are WordPerfect 5.1 files with extensions such as *.mem, *.ltr, *.ndx (which usually do not offer the "open with" option). Other "basic" extensions such as *.log, *.bak offer the option.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Open With' command not available in Explorer

You will only get this option if the file extension is not registered with Windows. By that I mean that items such as *.DOC are registered/associated with MS Word, and double-clicking the file will launch word and open the file. If Windows does not recognize the three-letter extension, it will give you Open With instead.

You can force this to appear on the context menu by holding down the shift key while right-clicking on a file name. Programs such as X-Setup and a few others will also force the option to appear on the context menu regardless (which I prefer) so that you can choose the program that you want to open a file with - picture editing and viewing are one good reason to do so.

Also, if you get the "Open With" dialog, there is a little check box - "Always use this program to open this type of file" - and if checked your association becomes permanent. The next time you double click on that file it will open in the program you chose.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,
    I think you forgot this:

To make "Open With..." option visible -- Shift + right-click

New Lounger
    Thanks

The Shift-Right-Click option does not work on files that do not originally have the "open with" option available. We have old WP 5.1 files that were named *.ltr for letters, *.agt for agreement, etc. These are not associated with any Windows programs, but do not allow you to open from Explorer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure you've selected the file first (i.e. one left click), then use shift-right-click.
    Christopher Baldrey

New Lounger
    Thanks

If I step next door to a stand-alone PC, the "Open With" is available through Explorer. Maybe it has to do with being networked (Novell) or something we've got set in the registry. The first command, whether shift-right click or regular right-click is "Netware Copy" instead of "Open With." Other PCs in the office work the same (we copied the same image to make the PCs).

Interestingly enough, used Winfile.exe to associate *.agt with Word (just for laughs). Then, going back to Explorer, right-clicking on *.agt file didn't give "Open with," but DID give a new option: Quickview.

Just get curiouser and curiouser... Thanks.