Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Having issues getting to the forum site.

Have to try several times before the site loads. Hopefully this entry posts. Has there been a site or host update recently for you folks?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    No updates. Hopefully just a temporary glitch.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thought it was me as I've had hangs when posting or going to other threads - but it could still be me as I've had other IE problems, although I've usually been on the forum when they have occurred - possible cross contamination ?

Thanks
    Nothing that might be server side noticed from here.

I did have a big ISP issue (UK wide, from the reports I saw) a few days ago where access to many sites was lost for ~11.5hours, took them ~4 hours to acknowledge that they were investigating and another 4 to acknowledge the problem existed. Check for problems with your ISP's current issues/outages page/blog.

IE might be suspect if you've done any Windows Updates in the previous few sessions, or have reverted to W7/8.1 from W10 without checking almost everything (Scheduled Tasks, hardware drivers, utility and any auto-starting software, etc.) is as it should be for W7 (imaging is the best way to recover from an OS upgrade).

Always have an updated alt. browser to test basic connectivity, knowing how to use your browser's safe mode is another way to rule out local issues. Sometimes a router reboot is needed to freshen routes/connections up, follow that by an OS reboot. Testing alt. DNS servers can also be useful.

Using the Tor browser, even though by it's nature it will be slow, can be useful to test connect to a site that's suddenly playing up.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I had that problem with accessing websites - could only get a couple so contacted TalkTalk my ISP, where it was elevated to the next level of techs as this affected three machines, so I knew it wasn't me.

I wasn't aware it was a nation wide problem, just that a few hours later it had been fixed.

As for problems on the forum and IE/Win 10, just been to the Windows Secrets Newsletter page from the free apps thread and when I closed that, all three of the tabs I had open were just blank.

Fortunately I was able to use the red X to close all tabs this time instead of having to reboot.

It's not the first time this has happened on this forum but having done similar on another forum, the link closed and I was back on that forum page.

I've also had problems getting to the lounge forum from my gmail notification link and have had to cancel it and try again.

Perhaps Penton should sort out the forum instead of sending out notification emails about a convention in the US that most us will not be able to attend.

That's the second one I've hit the unsubscribe button on - wonder if I'll get any more....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Still having weird access issues. Not sure what could be the cause but it could very well be due to some kind of attack (hope not).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you explain what problems you are having and can you try in Safe Mode with Networking.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Could be related to the Ddos DNS attack rolling across the USA.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, for a few days, all was well, but it looks like the problem's resurfaced. I think it only appears to affect Chrome and Firefox based browsers (tried Edge and it views fine). Not sure who the webpage administrator is but they seriously need to check for compatibility issues if you ask me.

Thanks
    I'm using Chrome and it seems to open ok here on W7 and W10.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm having to force refresh a few times for the page to render proper. Of course, it may be that compatibility issues have finally started to wreck WinXP's ability to use the internet. See, I use XP as my sandbox at this moment.

Thanks
    Browser compatibility issues beginning to surface now for XP, quelle surprise!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So far (other than a few sites with SHA issues) this issue only occurs at Windows Secrets, satrow.

Thanks
    Hmm, you're the only one mentioning this, perhaps you need to make further checks on your side?

Perhaps if you copy/pasted the details we'd know a little more?

Tried Tor yet?

How about the last Pale Moon version for XP/Atom and the Pale Moon Commander tool for taking control of secure connections: http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-atom.shtml ?

Minimum system Requirements:

Windows XP SP3/Server 2003 or later
    A processor with SSE2 capabilities
    Atom processor recommended but not required
    256 MB of free RAM
    At least 150 MB of free (uncompressed) disk space
    Pale Moon Commander

Pale Moon Commander is an extension designed for the Pale Moon web browser. It is a configurator, meaning it will provide a user-friendly interface to advanced preferences that would otherwise require manual editing of parameters, which can be cumbersome and time-consuming to do.

Thanks
    I haven't had problems like lylejk getting to WSL but - in the same time frame - I have had lots of problems uploading, e.g. multiple failed attempts to upload screenshots and attachments. This problem has now gone away so - whatever it was - appears to have been temporary.

I mention this because I suspect the problem wasn't at lylejk's end but rather with WSL... or, possibly more likely, routes to WSL. I think JoeP517 may be right, i.e. it was a side affect of the mass DDOS attacks of last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast