New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Windows 10 or google chrome? which one?

Hey guys its Ben here,

I'm hoping that this will be the place to answer my questions that have been driving me crazy for a while now. To start off i have a Dell latitude E6420 so it's not the newest laptop but i will place some specs below because they aren't that bad. When i brought from a link i will add below, the laptop had windows 7 installed and worked perfectly then i got the windows 8 update offer and declined due to the amount of complaints, then the Windows 10 update popped up and the reviews were petty good so i thought i would give it ago. For the first few weeks no problems at all, all was running smoothly. At first i noticed that the disc was running at 100% at some points when i wasn't really using the laptop, not to warrant 100% of usage, this is on and off not every time i use the laptop. And my other problem is freezing, at first i thought it was the computer/Windows 10 but then i started to realize every time my laptop was freezing Chrome was running. So i deleted and reinstalled Chrome and it has not fixed the problem it will still freeze at random times, like it could do rite now while i am speaking to you.

http://www.used.forsale/dell-latitude-e6400-laptop

Specs
    Model: Dell Latitude E6420
    RAM: 4GB
    Hard Drive: 1TB
    Processor: Intel core i5 vpro

If there is any other information needed just let me know and i will add them on, Any information would be greatly appreciated and i'm looking forward to chatting to everyone!

Windows.jpg

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by windowsbrad10; 2016-10-31 at 12:03. Reason: More information

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The high CPU usage could be due to updates being downloaded/installed - have you checked Reliability history for any as I've noticed that I have gotten updates that haven't been listed in Update History but have been in Reliability History.

Since the last updates I've had problems with IE on two Win 10 machines but not on a Win 7 one.

I may have to cancel trying for a website and then re-enter the URL or click on the Google link - also quite a few Windows has found a problem with the web page and closed and re-opened it, but all I get is a busy and not able to select any other thumbnail and have to hit the restart button.

So to answer your question - it is probably Win 10 although I haven't had any problems yet when trying the same when using Firefox.

Thanks
    You could also uninstall the default 64-bit version of Chrome and install the 32-bit version instead, it'll use less memory at least. Use the tiny Download Chrome for another platform link at https://www.google.com/chrome/browse...top/index.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    You could also uninstall the default 64-bit version of Chrome and install the 32-bit version instead, it'll use less memory at least. Use the tiny Download Chrome for another platform link at https://www.google.com/chrome/browse...top/index.html
    Thanks for the link i will give the 32bit version ago first because i prefer chrome as an all out browser if not i will give firefox ago and see how that goes

Thanks guys
    I will get back to you

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by windowsbrad10 View Post
    Welcome Ben, I agree your laptop specs are fine if you're not doing anything major on it. Since you're not flush on RAM, a couple of things to look at:

The extra/high disk usage may be Win10 moving data back and forth between RAM and the swap file on disk. The freezing could easily be connected to the same general cause--lowish RAM.

1. Look at your auto-startup programs, and disable all you don't need available when Win boots.
    2. Make a habit of closing down any big programs when you're finished with them, so they're not hogging your resources--this includes browser tabs, each tab consumes extra memory.

3. Do you run an anti-malware suite like Norton or McAfee? Those can be quite resource hoggy also, consider changing to better behaved alternatives.

Next time Chrome freezes, have a look at Task Manager and see if sth is eating up your RAM or CPU.

i deleted and reinstalled Chrome
    When you uninstall Chrome next time to try Satrow's suggestion, run CCleaner before you install the new version. There might be some junk remnant of code or a setting somewhere after a bunch of freezes.

If you like Chrome, you may prefer to try Opera rather than Firefox. Opera is based on Chrome, and is my 2nd choice browser.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The 32bit version seems to be working fine for now but we will see today/tomorrow whether the freezing occurs. Thanks for the Opera option i had never heard of it before.

Thanks guys back shortly

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Also how do you check reliability history??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go Start - start to type reliability until you see View reliability history come up and then press enter.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by windowsbrad10
    Hey guys its Ben here,

I'm hoping that this will be the place to answer my questions that have been driving me crazy for a while now. To start off i have a Dell latitude E6420 so it's not the newest laptop but i will place some specs below because they aren't that bad. When i brought from a link i will add below, the laptop had windows 7 installed and worked perfectly then i got the windows 8 update offer and declined due to the amount of complaints, then the Windows 10 update popped up and the reviews were petty good so i thought i would give it ago. For the first few weeks no problems at all, all was running smoothly. At first i noticed that the disc was running at 100% at some points when i wasn't really using the laptop, not to warrant 100% of usage, this is on and off not every time i use the laptop. And my other problem is freezing, at first i thought it was the computer/Windows 10 but then i started to realize every time my laptop was freezing Chrome was running. So i deleted and reinstalled Chrome and it has not fixed the problem it will still freeze at random times, like it could do rite now while i am speaking to you.

http://www.used.forsale/dell-latitude-e6400-laptop

Specs
    Model: Dell Latitude E6420
    Hard Drive: 1TB
    Processor: Intel core i5 vpro

If there is any other information needed just let me know and i will add them on, Any information would be greatly appreciated and i'm looking forward to chatting to everyone!

Click image for larger version.

Name: Windows.jpg
    Views: 2
    Size: 8.6 KB
    ID: 49030

Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Go Start - start to type reliability until you see View reliability history come up and then press enter.
    Ah ok, thanks i'll try that too.