Thanks

0 Bytes of 124GB Free on C:\ Drive

Yesterday afternoon I attended a customer who bought a new Win10 desktop PC (ASUS) about May this year. Before he attempted to use the new PC I ran the initial setup, upgraded Win10 to the latest build (v1511 10586 at the time), installed his programs, and copied his data from his old HP PC (which was originally Vista but upgraded to Win7 not long after SP1 was released).

The problems he was having were: pictures thumbnails not displayed instead all picture files had strange "generic" thumbnails, and he was unable to download/send/delete emails in Thunderbird w/ "not enough disk space" errors. When I checked in File Explorer\This PC C:\ was listed as having 0 (zero) bytes freespace.

I ran Disk Cleanup which showed a little more than 20GB could be deleted (mostly in "Temporary Files") but when I ran it the progress bar went from 0% to 100% in a few seconds then Disk Cleanup exited. After three runs (and a restart of Windows) Disk Cleanup had deleted only <>3GB and was still listing <>20GB Temporary Files for deletion but seemed to be unable to actually delete the files.

So I gave up on Disk Cleanup and instead ran "Windows Cleanup!" ( http://www.stevengould.org/software/.../download.html ) which deleted 383,702 temporary files and recovered 24.1GB!!!

Thumbnails were now displaying correctly for picture files, and Thunderbird downloaded emails, and could delete/compact without errors.

After doing the above I ran winver which reported the Win10 version as "v1511 Build 10586.494" (July 2016). When I checked "Settings\Update and Security" there was a message that updates had failed to install w/ errors and a button to fix the problem. After clicking on the "Fix" button a "downloading update" progress bar was displayed which took <> ten minutes to reach 6%.

I advised the customer re the download was clearly the latest Win10 build and what he should do after the download completed. Have not heard further from the customer, so it must be OK, but will check with him later today.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sad that 120GB is not enough any more.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Without looking at the PC in question, I rather suspect one of three things.
    --I saw a problem a couple years ago with an ASUS T100 that had a lot of junkware taking up space, but not enough to account for that.
    --You don't say how much data was copied over so it's impossible to tell how much space that occupies.
    --Did the update actually involve an upgrade? If so then there might be both the new and old versions installed.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you clean out any of the OEM bloat ?

There's also the sageset version of Disk Cleanup you can use to find other bits you can delete.

https://tweakhound.com/2015/09/16/wi...-disk-cleanup/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You (or the customer) need to find out where the space has gone - in the past I have used Treesize (there is a free version), but Wiztree is blindingly fast (it reads the MFT directly). FWIW, my W10 installation (home-brewed, so no bloat) uses only 17GB (1.8GB of which is page file and hiberfil) and includes Office 2010.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can save a few GB by turning Hibernate off.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Sad that 120GB is not enough any more...
    Yeah. It's a 128GB SSD (PC also has a 1TB D:\DATA HDD).

It would have been nice if ASUS had fitted at least a 256GB SSD (little difference in cost between 128GB and 256GB SSDs considering the difference in capacity).

Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    ...--I saw a problem a couple years ago with an ASUS T100 that had a lot of junkware taking up space, but not enough to account for that.
    There was no indication of "junkware" present; and I did check in "Programs and Features" for PUPs/spyware/adware (from past experience w/ this customer he is quite careful re what he allows to install on his computers).

...--You don't say how much data was copied over so it's impossible to tell how much space that occupies.
    He has <>20GB in C:\Users\[username]\Pictures and a further <>20GB in C:\Users\[username]\Documents (no Music or Videos, and only a few MB in Dropbox). I have repeatedly advised him that he should move all but most frequently-used data from his C:\ drive to his D:\DATA drive; this time he might be motivated enough to do so.

...--Did the update actually involve an upgrade? If so then there might be both the new and old versions installed.
    Micro$oft calls them "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version...", but I tend to be a bit "old school" too re the difference in meaning between "update" and "upgrade" (they really should be termed "Cumulative Upgrade?).

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Did you clean out any of the OEM bloat?...
    I uninstalled most of ASUS's pre-installed "bloatware" after I did the initial setup. There were two-or-three programs I left alone because they might have been useful and were not running in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post
    You (or the customer) need to find out where the space has gone...
    When working on customers' systems I run "Total Commander" ( http://www.ghisler.com/ ) from a USB Thumbdrive which includes the ability to quickly and easily determine what is using up diskspace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You can save a few GB by turning Hibernate off.
    I usually run powercfg -h off in Win10 because I have seen too many systems messed up by "Fast Startup".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.