New Lounger
    Thanks

Snipping Tool (Version 10)

Has anyone found a way to run Windows 10 version of the Snipping Tool on a Windows 7 OS?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Only ever used the W7 version on W7. What have you tried?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why? What does it do that the Win7 snipping tool doesn't? IOW, what problem are you trying to solve?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i have copied windows 10 snipping tool onto a window 7 OS and receives an error when trying to execute.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 10 Snipping Tool has added the delay feature to capture fly away windows and tool tips.

Thanks
    You can capture them in Windows 7 using this method.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BBible View Post
    i have copied windows 10 snipping tool onto a window 7 OS and receives an error when trying to execute.
    Not trying to be pretentious but, as a general rule, you cannot copy a program from one computer to another. Programs have to be installed to ensure they connect with all the additional components they need. In this case, the snipping tool is a part of the OS install which makes it that much more likely that it needs other installed components.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Graham,

i agree, but sometime tools like those from Sysinternal and other portable suppliers are OS independent. Just taking a chance in case MS was thinking outside of the box.

Best,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni,

Wow! it works, what a great Easter Egg.

Thanks, now i have a solution.

Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    You can capture them in Windows 7 using this method.
    I prefer to use IrfanView ( http://www.irfanview.com/ ).

If you want to capture a popup window simply press the "PrtScn" (Print Screen) keyboard button, open IrfanView (if not already running) then click the "Paste" button in IrfanView's toolbar.

To crop the screen image in IrfanView simply position the mouse cursor at one corner of the desired area then press (and hold down) the left mouse button and drag to draw a box around the desired area then release the left mouse button (you can adjust the top/bottom/side borders by positioning the mouse cursor over a border until the cursor changes to a double-headed arrow then drag the border to where you want it). Once you have the box positioned as desired simply left-click somewhere on the image outside of the box and IrfanView will display only the area you selected in the box.

After cropping the image as above it is then quite easy to use any of the many menu commands in IrfanView to add circle(s)/ellipses(s)/text/arrows etc.

I just find IrfanView much more useful than the snipping tool.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.