New Lounger
    Thanks

Question No Sound with Media Files

Event that caused problem: My SRS Sound Suite was not working. I updated the IDT driver but evidently it was the wrong one. At first, I had no sound at all. But, after uninstalling the wrong driver, restoring back to pre-event, and updating the driver, I recovered some sound.

Now...

I have: system sounds; audiobooks play; and game sounds on facebook.

I do not have: sound with any media player (Windows/QTime/VLC) or at youtube, and no sound with test/configuration features. Windows Media Player 12 does not open any media file (error window), but the other players and youtube play the files (video is fine and time counter bars move), but I don't hear anything.

I've worked on this for three days. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and updated driver; uninstalled and reinstalled codecs; installed different codecs package after uninstalling; checked and rechecked all settings; ran a dos scan; turned off win media player; made sure each program is using the speakers; checked file associations; etc.

My Microsoft diagnostics are not working correctly, or require a passkey which I do not have. I'm using an HP g-series laptop. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it? Are the speakers "communicating" with the programs? Might there be some system volume setting specific to media files?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have two possible fixes for WMP, this one which has additional Advanced troubleshooting - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...ix-wmp-utility and there's a series of fixes in this one - http://www.free-codecs.com/microsoft...t_download.htm

What passkey do you need to run the MS diagnostics and can you give us a link to those ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much. I've tried some of these fixes before, but I am now trying them again. Since I posted, I used my system setup to install the driver that came with my pc. Backtracking, I realized the driver that worked for some sound was for win 8 (6.10.6491.0). With the win 7 driver (6.10.6365.0) I have no sound at all.

The passkey is for a troubleshooter on my laptop, but I'm forgetting about that for now because it is for getting into dos files etc., and I'm not that desperate yet.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, the fixes didn't help. So, I changed my driver again. This time, I used the hardware id (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7605&SUBSYS_103C169B &REV_1001) and found compatible drivers online. I uninstalled the HP recommended driver that stopped working even when I downloaded and installed its software, and now installed sp65012.exe...
    6.10.6498.0 2013-12-05. The HP site lists it as a Win 8 driver, but it has restored my system sounds, audiobooks, and flashplayer online game sounds. Now, should my next step be finding compatible win 8 codecs specific to mp3 and wma etc???????

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You say you've tried different Codec packs - did they include K-Lite ?

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. K-lite was the first online package I tried. It was not the solution. I used Gspot last night. Codecs are installed for media files but evidently not being used by programs. For example, when I check PROPERTIES on any file (single song ripped from a cd; song downloaded from online purchase; video downloaded from youtube; video downloaded from family share) in my WMP12, the AUDIO CODEC and VIDEO CODEC are blank.

I also finally found a detailed Microsoft article about WMP 12 issues. According to it, the error window that comes-up when I try to play a file means there is no codec. Therefore, it seems audio codecs are installed on my PC but not being used by programs.

QTime and VLC and Firefox play videos perfectly but there is no sound. The codecs package I have installed now is for Win 7 or 8 etc.

Note: When I uninstall drivers or codecs, I am restarting after any uninstall, and also restarting after any new installation.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does Event Viewer have anything recorded for when you try to play these files that aren't picking up the Codec ?

Other than what has been discussed, have you tried any of these other tools - https://www.raymond.cc/blog/fix-vide...ng-bad-codecs/

What did you mean when you said the MS Diagnostic wouldn't work properly ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

KPlatz (2016-10-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face

SOLVED! At least it seems to be. Your Event Viewer question led me to logs showing a reoccurring audiodg.exe error. Consequently, I found an article that talked about enhancements. I went to the Listening Area SRS Premium Sound feature under Sound Control Panel and turned Enhancements off. My problems were fixed. But, after restart, they returned even though the SRS Enhancements were off. Something internal found the problem and I got a pop-up window asking if I wanted my speakers to turn-off Enhancements. I said "yes" and everything works. Evidently, I don't have full control of those settings although I don't know why not. I thought they'd be under Advanced at the speakers. It'd have been nice if the Microsoft site listed Enhancements as a possible problem with sound issues. Thanks again, for all of your help. Cheers!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad to see that you have found the cause and have been able to fix it.

I'll stick to my laptop's built in Reatek - although default settings don't make for a decent volume and you have to use the Realtek HD Audio Manager to fine tune things, but it's something you need to know about and go looking for - perhaps something MS and Realtek have in common ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, my previous laptop had Realtek. I was able to do all sorts of things with media files and enhancements. My trouble here began because I didn't like the sound quality of spoken word. Any time I've tried to tweek with this PC, I have problems. Next purchase, I'll be wiser.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...I'll stick to my laptop's built in Reatek - although default settings don't make for a decent volume and you have to use the Realtek HD Audio Manager to fine tune things...
    Tom, go to Control Panel\Sound then click once on "Speakers" then click "Properties". In the "Speakers Properties" dialog click on the "Enhancements" tab then tick the "Equalizer" checkbox then click on "Powerful" in the "Setting" drop-down list.

On two of my systems that have Realtek HD audio that increased the volume level noticeably and also improved sound clarity.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2016-10-27)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks, John.

I already had the Equalizer box checked but it's already blasting me out with it set to Living room and Live, that when watching BBC iPlayer I have to set the volume to the low 60s.

I've set it to Powerful and will see what that's like when next on iPlayer.

I don't have Speakers in my Control Panel - it's listed as Realtek HD Audio Manager.