Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstalling OEM nVidia video driver in favor of Microsoft's

Running Windows 10-64AU. Last night I downloaded and installed the latest nVidia driver because my motto is, "If it's not broke, tinker until you break it". The install went fine and this morning I used my Weather Channel Metro app a few times...no problem...and then it started crashing. I tried reinstalling it, rebooting, running SFC, etc.; no success. Then I figured I'd just undo the last change I made to the machine and reinstalled the previously-installed nVidia driver. Now the app is working again. I have no idea if this is a coincidence or not but now another Metro app that just "stopped working" a few months ago is working again.

When I did my Windows 10 clean install Windows installed its own nVidia driver and it worked fine. Now I'm thinking I want to revert to that driver again and not upgrade it through nVidia's web site. If I uninstall the current OEM version and reboot, will Windows reinstall the original driver?

Rob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It may still be in the driver store.

Go to Device Manager - expand Display adapters - right click on the adapter and select Update Driver Software - Browse my computer - Let me pick and see if it is listed.

But to answer your question - I don't know.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks...I did try that and selected an older driver but it wouldn't install it. So, I just uninstalled the driver, rebooted and hoped for the best. Windows installed an older Microsoft version of the driver and my Metro apps are still working OK so I think I will let sleeping dogs lie and treat this as a teachable moment.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Win 10's earlier days there was quite a bit of bother because of MS installing its own drivers for NVidia, but they eventually got it sorted - just like you

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy View Post
    my motto is, "If it's not broke, tinker until you break it".
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy View Post
    I will let sleeping dogs lie and treat this as a teachable moment.
    I always like to see an old dog learn a new trick

Unless you consciously want to tinker, leave drivers alone as long as everything is working--ie don't change just because there's a new version. The nVidia change logs are readable, so you can always scan them on-site to see if they've fixed anything of interest to you.

Also, general principle when updating drivers is to get the update, in order of preference, from:
    Component manufacturer [eg nVidia];
    OEM assembler [eg Gigabyte];
    PC manufacturer [eg Dell];
    Microsoft.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When using an OEM machine you should always first go to the computer support site for video drivers as they can be OEM modified, as can be for Nvidia and not doing so can result in a BSOD.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    When using an OEM machine you should always first go to the computer support site for video drivers as they can be OEM modified, as can be for Nvidia and not doing so can result in a BSOD.
    That is generally correct for laptops/notebooks, but seldom applies for OEM desktops. W/ OEM desktops the best-and-newest drivers are usually found on the component manufacturer's support website.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2016-10-23)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Lugh's advice was for a general update and felt it should be clarified, but I've come across where not going to the computer support site when Nvidia is being used, has resulted in a BSOD - but can't remember now if they were just laptops.