Thanks

Removing Computers from a Network

I have three computers, named ALLIANCEHP, GATEWAY, and BARBARA. When I look at This PC under Network, they all show up as Computers in the Workgroup WORKGROUP, with the Network location Network 6.

I no longer want to have them networked with each other in any way, but I do want them connected to my router so they can each access the Internet.

When I'm at ALLIANCEHP and try to look at the other two, hoping to be able to remove them, I get a Windows Security window asking me for my credentials to connect to, for example, BARBARA. I don't remember my User name or Password for this, so I don't seem to be able to proceed.

How do I un-network these computers?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    On each PC, go to Control Panel | Network and Internet | Network and Sharing Center | Advanced sharing settings. Turn off "Network Discovery".
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2016-10-23)

Thanks
    Also turn off "File and Printer Sharing"?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    That worked fine. I might want to reconnect these computers some day. Right now, the Network and Sharing Center reports that they are on different networks (or something). BARBARA shows up as being connected to Network 2. GATEWAY shows up as being connected to Network 4. ALLIANCEHP shows up as being connected to Network 6.

That seems to be a bit confusing. What happens if I want to put them all back on one network? (This all started several months ago when I couldn't get them all connected to the same WORKGROUP.)
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-10-23 at 21:16. Reason: punctuate
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Usually connecting a 'foreign' computer to my Router during repair will give a choice of setting it up on a Public Network or a Private Network. Public is supposed to hide other computers while Private lets them be discoverable, at least I hope that's the way I remember it [haven't done it lately]. Might disconnect each from the Network, unplug the cable to the router and reboot then plug back in.

Thanks
    After my last post, I also followed Coochin's suggestion.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    ...Right now, the Network and Sharing Center reports that they are on different networks (or something). BARBARA shows up as being connected to Network 2. GATEWAY shows up as being connected to Network 4. ALLIANCEHP shows up as being connected to Network 6.

That seems to be a bit confusing. What happens if I want to put them all back on one network?...
    Windows stores the needed information about each network the computer is connected to in the registry and identifies each network in the order in which they were connected.

I.e.: "BARBARA shows up as being connected to Network 2" and "GATEWAY shows up as being connected to Network 4" does not necessarily mean that "Network 2" and "Network 4" are different networks; almost certainly BARBARA's "Network 2" and GATEWAY's "Network 4" are the same network (your network), it's just that GATEWAY has connected to a couple of other networks before connecting to yours.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2016-10-24)

Thanks
    That makes eminent sense. Thank you for enlightening me.

BTW, I agree with you about EBKAC. I term it "operator error" or, if I'm in a whimsical mood, "operator errer". My first computer was a Commodore PET, in 1979. I never became an IT professional, however. At one time I was a very advanced amateur. These days, I'm just a user. (Too much to keep up with, unless you're a professional.)
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    None of those things really removes the computers from the network, you can still access them from the others using the right method. All you are doing is removing the names from File/Windows Explorer.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander
    Right now, the Network and Sharing Center reports that they are on different networks (or something). BARBARA shows up as being connected to Network 2. GATEWAY shows up as being connected to Network 4. ALLIANCEHP shows up as being connected to Network 6.

That seems to be a bit confusing. What happens if I want to put them all back on one network? (This all started several months ago when I couldn't get them all connected to the same WORKGROUP.)
    Coochin is quite right about Windows storing the network information in the registry. Even if you have just one physical network, the use of different network profiles leads - as you have found - to a situation where is appears that more than one network is in use, e.g. Network 2, Network 4, etc.

The list of network profiles is stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles. Within this key you will find a number of sub-keys showing the 'networks' that Windows has used.

In Windows 7 it was incredibly easy to rename, for example, 'Network 2' and 'Network 4' to 'MyHomeNetwork'. You just double-clicked on the icon for the network in Network and Sharing Center and a 'rename' dialog would appear. For some inexplicable reason, Microsoft have obfuscated this process so in Windows 10 you need to use the Registry Editor or Local Security Policy (not available in Windows 10 Home).

So, if you want to change - for example - 'Network 2', 'Network 4', etc. to 'SanderNet' in Windows 10 then try do the following:

1. Right-click on the Network icon in the Notification Area, open the Network and Sharing Center and make a note of the current network profile in use, e.g. Network 2:

w10_network_profile01.png
    Click to enlarge

2. In Cortana's Search dialog, type regedit.

3. When regedit.exe appears in the search results, right-click on it and choose Run as Administrator.

4. When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles and expand the key.

5. In the left-hand pane, click on each profile in turn (shown as sub-keys using GUIDs) until you see Network 2 as a ProfileName entry in the right-hand pane.

w10_network_profile02.png
    Click to enlarge

6. Double-click on the ProfileName entry in the right-hand pane, change the name to whatever you want then click on the OK button to dismiss the dialog.

7. Close the Registry Editor.

8. In the Network and Sharing Center, press the F5 key (or choose View > Refresh) then close the Network and Sharing Center dialog.

9. Re-open the Network and Sharing Center dialog and you should see the network 'name' has been changed. (in my experience you may need to close and re-open twice before the change is recognised, hence the use of F5 in step 8 to try to force it without resorting to restarting Explorer.)

change_network_name_w10.gif
    Click to see animation

Hope this helps...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2016-10-24)

Thanks
    This is really good stuff!

I will definitely address it, but at the moment I'm busy with other things for a few days.

I have had a lot of troubles networking my computers with Windows 10, and this may be a key to solving them.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA