New Lounger
    Thanks

Context Sensitive Help

I have updated context sensitive help on a new version of an educational simulation program as part of the program upgrade to run in vb.net. I am using HelpProvider and a .chm file. I have set ShowHelp to true, HelpKeyword to appropriate numbers for the respective controls, HelpNavigator to TopicID and left HelpString blank. The program is made available via the web. When I download it for testing to my desktop computer, it works perfectly. Pressing F1 for each control brings up information for that control. However when I download it to my Dell XLS 13 laptop, pressing F1 for any control yields nothing. I have used a keyboard testing program and found that the F1 key on my laptop and desktop provide the same VK code and scan code. Thus I would expect the information for the respective control should appear on both machines. It does not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzsche View Post
    I have updated context sensitive help on a new version of an educational simulation program as part of the program upgrade to run in vb.net. I am using HelpProvider and a .chm file. I have set ShowHelp to true, HelpKeyword to appropriate numbers for the respective controls, HelpNavigator to TopicID and left HelpString blank. The program is made available via the web. When I download it for testing to my desktop computer, it works perfectly. Pressing F1 for each control brings up information for that control. However when I download it to my Dell XLS 13 laptop, pressing F1 for any control yields nothing. I have used a keyboard testing program and found that the F1 key on my laptop and desktop provide the same VK code and scan code. Thus I would expect the information for the respective control should appear on both machines. It does not. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave
    After playing with the program for a while, I was able to get it to show context sensitive help if I would open the help program by clicking on the help button on the form and then closing the help window. Then F1 functioned properly. Actually it may have done that all along as I discovered that by chance. However I did not find that a very satisfactory solution. When I turned my laptop on today Microsoft installed yet another Win 10 update. I crossed my fingers, launched the program, clicked on a textbox and pressed F1. The context sensitive help appeared! Problem solved! Thank you Microsoft. There was no way I could have fixed that bug.