New Lounger
    Thanks

Win95+WinXP Internet Sharing

We finally have Win95 and WinXP computer networked (mostly) after 2 months and help from 2 friends! We can share files and the printer, but sharing the internet connection (currently AOL) on the WinXP to the Win95 computer eludes us. Any suggestions? - Barb.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Win95+WinXP Internet Sharing

With AOL only one user account can be logged in at any time. AOL wants you have a seperate account for each computer.

I helped a daughter inlaw with her two computers, and found that teh ICS works great, but as stated above the a second computer could NOT use the sam account even each had a different user name under the master account.

Another reason NOT to use AOL.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

On HomeNetHelp I found instructions for setting up the ICS on the WinXP, but it did not go back far enough to include directions for ICS client configuration on the Win95. Is there something "tricky" or "different" from the newer Windows operating systems that I need to know to make it work on Win95? The husband of a friend tried briefly to make it work about a week ago, but was not successful.

I plan to keep AOL on the WinXP until the remaining 4 months of my "free 6 months" are done. Then I will probably look into ATT. I have Juno on the Win95 machine at the present, but not always entirely happy with it. Would like to pay for only one ISP, and be able to use it for both networked computers. [I have 4 months to figure this out!] - Barb.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think M$ ICS will work with 95 at all. It was introduced in 98SE. You may need to upgrade the 95 OS to something newer or try another way to share the connection, such as other software.