New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP Activation - Dead or Alive

Is anyone able to confirm, that despite XP no longer being supported, whether new XP installations can be activated online?

I have reinstalled my parents Windows XP OS after their drive failed. They are very old and would be an incredible challenge for them to learn how to use a new Windows operating system, so for what they use it for, it would be best if I could continue to use XP. Besides that, being on a fixed income makes it difficult to justify the purchase of a new OS when this one suits their needs.

After a successful reinstallation of XP last night, along with SP3, any attempt to activate fails with a message saying basically "Unable to activate at this time." Considering it is saying "at this time" makes me believe it may be a temporary thing vs "Activation is no longer available" which would indicate the obvious.

Should I be patient and keep trying, or is it futile?

Is there a way to activate XP if the servers have been unplugged that won't cost as much as a new OS?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, you can still activate Windows XP; I did it earlier this year, also after an HD failure. You may need to make a phone call though, because of the hardware change (assuming it's an OEM version), but it takes 5 minutes. They can now send your activation code by SMS, to save you writing it down.

Also, all updates are still available; MS said they'd no plans to remove them from the servers.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2016-10-25 at 16:50.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tonyl ... thanks! I was indeed successful in activating XP. As you said though, it required a phone call, which with the SMS option made things quick and easy. The online option never did connect.
    And yes ... lots of updates still available.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    YW, glad you got it sorted. Be aware that it might groan a bit with the updates, but when it's done, it's done. You can then turn Automatic Updates off.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    And make a drive image so you can re-install without the pain. (Aomei Backupper, Macrium Reflect, EaseUS ToDo, Paragon etc)

cheers, Paul