Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 Ann Update lost files

Several months ago I put on the fix to stop the auto update to Win 10 on my wife's desktop. I have been running Win 10 for a year or more on my machines. The fix failed and the system got updated all the way to the Anniversary Edition. Now the system runs fine.

Except that all the files, mostly MS Word files, that were in the Documents folder are gone. I used a relatively uncommon word contained in several files to search the C: drive and it could not find any of the files, but it did find that word in other places (picture names, etc) where it was used, but did not find any of the documents. I looked in windows.old but they are not there either.

Any ideas where I might look? You might save my marriage if I find those files!!!!!

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If they aren't in windows.old, not sure where they have gone - but does anything come up when you open Windows Explorer and type folder options in the top right search box ?

As you still have the windows.old folder then see if you can roll back to pre-AU.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-10-26 at 05:15.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to suggest creating an image of the hard drive before losing anything (else?).
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    If they aren't in windows.old, not sure where they have gone - but does anything come up when you open Windows Explorer and type folder options in the top right search box ?

As you still have the windows.old folder then see if you can roll back to pre-AU.
    I'm not sure what you mean about the Win Ex and "type folder options"? What folder options?

I don't want to roll back to Win 7. Even if I did that the files are still gone. I could recover some of them from the last system image but the majority would be gone.

Fred

Thanks
    Try
    1. Open File explorer
    2.Click on "This PC"
    3. In the upper right corner, click on the box that shows "Search this PC"
    4. Type *.docx
    5. Wait for the search to complete and see if you recognize any of the files you are looking for.

Jerry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    4. Type *.doc

Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest you try some data recovery software to restore the lost files, Recuva and EaseUS is recommended. Both of them have free version.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Rolling back to the previous build would take you back to 1511 - pre-Anniversary Update, providing you did it within 10 days of the AU's installation.

1607 is a new build which is why you have another Windows.old - the one you had after upgrading to Win 10 was auto deleted 30 days after you upgraded.

Thanks
    Before doing any more searches, make sure to change Win Explorer's settings so you can see all files and folders--ie so that Hidden and System are no longer invisible.

It sounds to me like your Documents folder got hidden somehow. I don't use Win Explorer so I can't give you specifics.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the lost files. Before the upgrade (sic..) to win 10 I had C and D partitions on drive 1. Also had another hdd and had a G partition on it used for backups. After the upgrade I found A and B partitions on drive 1 in addition to the C and D that were there before. A had the files from G and G had been reformatted and was labeled SYSTEM:.

I fought the upgrade for several days. I got all working fine and the next morning things were all messed up. After several days of this I took another disk, formatted it and made a new win 10 installation. After a few hours OneDrive had replaced almost all of my files back on the new drive and now all is working fine.

Have been running win 10 for well over a year with the tech preview. Have had it on my desktop and laptop exclusively for several months and all works fine. But this upgrade in place on my wife's desktop was impossible to settle down, it just kept reverting after I changed things in settings and users and such. No substitute for a clean install!!!!!

Aw well!!

Thanks for all your help. I will probably ask again for help.

Fred

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can change drive drive letters via Disk Management. Easier than shuffling disks and files.

cheers, Paul