2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Asking About Win10 AU

I have used Group Policy Editor to control updates and so far have not been offered AU as an update which is okay if it's still in not good working order.

My inquiry is whether or not it's working properly to safely install now. I've been notified of updates and have installed them and PC is running fine w/o issues, but no 1607 has appeared, which is fine by me.

Thanks.

Diane
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The setting in Group Policy affects whether or not you automatically get updates, but the AU is an Upgrade and is effected by Defer Upgrades in Settings.

If you feel you are ready for the AU then uncheck Defer and you will get it, eventually. If you don't have that checked, then it's also possible that they just haven't gotten to you yet. The rollout has been slow.

You can also go to MS and manually download and run the AU. Instructions are in a number of prior posts on this.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    I'm going to stick my neck out and say that the initial issues appear to have been mostly resolved. I've just had a laptop upgrade itself yesterday (after unblocking Windows Update) and the process was both uneventful and MUCH faster than the initial rollout of AU.

(I'll still be sticking to my routine of disabling Windows Update until the experiences of others suggests it's safe.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ask because I've been following other posters here and issues that have arisen. I also have been faithfully following Woody's site and the issues about updates and there really hasn't been any big blowups there since August about AU 10.

I don't feel the particular need for AU but did want to keep myself informed in the event it's offered or I decide it's time. I'd hate to mess with a PC that isn't broken. Thanks to you both for your replies.

Diane
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    I too have been holding off the AU on my HP laptop with "Defer Upgrades" and I also set it as a metered connection so when I check on updates it just tells me what they are and I have to ok them to DL/install on my 1511.
    Personally, I don't like that Cortana is forced in AU and I haven't seen a foolproof way to disable it yet and still have the local search function. I'm also not real happy with the changes to the "All Apps" look in the start menu. Some like it, I don't.
    Just my opinion and at some point it will have to be dealt with.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it affects machines in different ways - it has been problems with IE for me on two laptops and may be still ongoing, but waiting to see if a fix I found courtesy of Google has resolved it.

As for any more/new complaints - we don't know what the silent majority who don't know about forums are experiencing.

Just ensure you have recent images to fall back on, although you get 10 days to roll back anyway.