Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

BSOD and several error messages....

Hello,

I've been experiencing many BSOD, "Third master hard drive error" and "A disk read error occurred. Press C-A-D to restart" error messages. Here is what I have done so far to fix this:

1) Vacuumed the inside of the box
    2) Replaced CMOS battery
    3) Ensured connection from hdd to the mb was secure
    4) Ran Memtest86+, zero errors
    5) Booted up Hirenís and ran the IBM/Hitachi hdd surface test, zero errors
    6) Boot up normally off the hdd and it stopped at that Windows screen, the blue sky and rolling green grass image, pointer works but no icons, no system tray, no left click, no right click, no c-a-d
    7) I re-booted. Same thing.

Thank you for any assistance.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    CTL+ALT+DEL then click file and new task. then type explorer.exe

Or i found this

. I restarted my computer, upon start up I hit F8 to get into the safe mode options. I selected start in safe mode. I then went into control panel, and did a system restore to a date from last month. Once that happened, the comp restarts itself and lo and behold everything was back to normal.
    Last edited by Weedhopper; 2016-10-27 at 12:34.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you your input, Weedhopper, but as I indicated in point 6, I cannot c-a-d. Also, there is no Start button, just the sky and grass image and nothing else. Thanks though.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Cant start in Safe Mode to do a restore?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did not think to try to log in to Safe Mode. Thank you. I have had these computer issues for so long, I don't know what date to restore to.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Go back as far as you can Little Brother and hopefully it will fix your issue.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Pop.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    No problem my friend.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNumber View Post
    Hello,

I've been experiencing many BSOD, "Third master hard drive error" and "A disk read error occurred. Press C-A-D to restart" error messages.
    You have an error on one of the 3+ drives fitted, it's failing. Back up all valuable data now.

Post a screenshot of Disk Management, showing all the properties (Active, System, etc.) for all drives, please.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    He hasnt been able to boot up far enough to backup yet. Hopefully he can get into Safe mode and deal with it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to get to Safe Mode. The files loaded and then it took me back to that sky and grass image. Again, pointer worked but no icons, no system tray, no Start button, no left click, no right click, no c-a-d. I tried it again. Same thing. I then tried to get to Last Known Good Configuration. Same thing.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Do you have a recovery disk? If so use it to repair your problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have the recovery disk that came with the computer which I slipstreamed with SP3. Would I need a complete restore or just the DOS commands at the prompt such as scannow, etc.? Should I do something with Hiren's instead? Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @BlueNumber
    As satrow said, you need to back up your data.
    You may need to enlist the help of a friend with a working computer. I'd install Macrium Reflect (or some other free imaging program), connect your problematic drive to your friend's computer, and image your failing drive.
    Of course, if you don't have valuable data on the drive (nor an existing image) then you can simply buy a replacement and install your OS from scratch.

Good luck.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have access to another computer. I do have a few questions:

1) If I copy the image will I not also be copying the problem(s) that causes me to need a new hdd?
    2) After installing Macrium Reflect (or, whatever), I would save the image to a flash drive, right?
    3) In order to use the saved image must the new hdd be the exact same type as the old one?
    4) In making the image, do I simply remove the problem hdd from the box and attach it to a usb port on the good computer?
    5) If the answer to #4, above, is yes, once the hdd is attached to the good computer, if I felt like it, I can select certain files I need from the problem hdd and just copy and paste to a flash drive, right?

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast