New Lounger
    Thanks

Black screen failure, spontaneous reboot

I have a computer with Asus motherboard, core i7, Sandisk 1 TB SSD, running Windows 10. Machine has started failing with screen just going black. What happens next varies. Sometimes computer will reboot, in which case it cannot find the SSD boot drive. If it doesn't boot, if I press the reset button, it cannot find the boot drive. If I go into the BIOS, the SSD is not shown. However, if I power off and then immediately power back on, system boots normally.

Failure does not seem to depend on anything I am doing, or not doing. It will go through this cycle while I am away from the computer or while I am typing on it. This may happen several times during the day, or not at all for a while.

I reseated cables on the SSD perhaps a month ago and that temporarily solved the problem, but now it is back again.

I'd appreciate suggestions about what to try. I suspect a hardware problem but am not sure what is most likely.

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Suggestions in order.

Reseat all cables.
    Get the SSD manufacturer's diag disk and see what it says about the SSD.
    Check the power supply voltages using something like CPUID HWMonitor.
    Get a new motherboard.

cheers, Paul

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Replace cables! Connectors may be bad.
    Check Power Supply,,make sure its not getting hot because of being clogged from dust.

Thanks

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Be careful though,,because a couple post down someone posted and said after he done that,,his Drive is nothing more then a brick now.
    Of course that does not mean it wont work in your case,,and i didnt read much further. Hope it works because i found it a fascinating read,,strange but fascinating.
    Last edited by Weedhopper; 2016-10-27 at 20:50.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Found this interesting on another site.

Again, IMO this is the stupidest design issue of all times.
    Perhaps million more unsuspecting people are getting the error message that their computer cannot find a bootable device, and taking incorrect drastic action to reimage their drives, reload the OS, etc., when all that is needed is to go through 2 power cycles - the first with SATA 0 cable disconnected and the second with it reconnected, thus resetting the BIOS boot order. This is the first time I have experienced it with an SSD, but have seen it many times with hard disks.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/th.../#post-3308408
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-10-27 at 21:23. Reason: Fixing it.