2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New(old!)Win 7 update problem

Today,the long awaited advice from Ms.Bradley has arrived in WS.So because no matter how long I tried running the "check for updates"to no avail,I went to the Download Center and successfully downloaded(Google) KB 3185330.But INSTEAD OF INSTALLING,WHAT I GET IS A SMALL SQUARE RUNNING :CHECK FOR UPDATES".So,I am back where I started from.After already re-setting my computer to automatic updates(that never come).The only thing I haven't done yet(maybe this is what stops d...ed MS from updating my computer,IS THE GWX CONTROL PANEL,that I still have active on my computer).Of all the technically smart and devoted volunteers that read these pages,WHAT AM I TO DO?short of either risking problems due to lack of critical updates,or switching to an Apple computer and wishing MS to h...!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to macko1944 For This Useful Post:

CEScott (2016-10-27)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is the $64,000 question that everyone is asking. I've been (not so patiently) waiting for answers to the questions! There seems to be some high-tech fixes for those people who have both the knowledge AND THE TIME to be constantly messing around with Microfail's new Windows Update debacle. I'm sincerely hoping Woody (Askwoody.com) or someone soon comes up with something to help us, if that's possible.

Thanks
    Set Windows Update to "Never" and reboot. Then insure that the Windows Update Service is stopped. The standlone update should run then.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bambinoo For This Useful Post:

CEScott (2016-10-31),macko1944 (2016-10-28)

Thanks
    Try installing the KB with the wuausvc Service temporarily stopped and disabled.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-10-28)

Thanks
    I have WU set to "Never Check for Updates" and I downloaded the Security only package KB 3192391 from the MS Update catalog and installed it. When I double clicked to start the installation, it searched for updates for about a minute and then started to initialize, then proceeded to install with a reboot required at the end.
    In other words, changing WU to "Never Check for Updates" should do the trick for installing the packages.
    These are my WU settings:
    WU.JPG

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

CEScott (2016-10-31),macko1944 (2016-10-28)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I have WU set to "Never Check for Updates" and I downloaded the Security only package KB 3192391 from the MS Update catalog and installed it. When I double clicked to start the installation, it searched for updates for about a minute and then started to initialize, then proceeded to install with a reboot required at the end.
    In other words, changing WU to "Never Check for Updates" should do the trick for installing the packages.
    These are my WU settings:
    WU.JPG

After 12 and a half hours of running the check,it finally downloaded and installed 3185330.I checked for more updates,there were 9 important ones,one of which the ...2664 which is about Win 10 and that I unchecked and tried to have the others installed.Now,for the past 3 hrs.it is "installing"the 2nd of 8 updates(it is about Silverlight).It is just a never ending bother to work with MS.It keeps all you kind volunteers constantly busy too!Sad,sad,sad.I shall leave this going(the installation((?)overnight.See if I get lucky with it by morning.That is the situation now.And thanks to all for you attention to this.I am most grateful!Just one question:does the CWX control panel influences this at all(in a negative way,should I delete it for a possible improvement?
    Thank you!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could uninstall GWX Control Panel as it could be checking the updates, but your antivirus program will also be checking them and could be a bit slow in releasing them.

See if their install goes a bit smoother with GWX uninstalled and your AV program disabled, but the slowest one will be the MSRT update as it runs a scan on installation.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-10-28 at 03:57.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-10-29)

Thanks
    I have GWX control panel still on my computer and it doesn't bother anything so I doubt very much that has anything to do with your problem, but as Sudo said, you could uninstall it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-11-02)

Thanks
    Do a backup of your system before doing updates. In this way, you can safely do the updates. If one of them hoses your system, you can restore the backup and then quit doing updates.

In my opinion, this is the easiest and safest way to do updates for Windows 7.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-11-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what the answer is. My updates would run all evening before they found anything. I followed some suggestions and it got better. Then it had trouble again. Then it cleared up after a routine update. I'm doing updates this weekend so we will see what happens.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You could uninstall GWX Control Panel as it could be checking the updates, but your antivirus program will also be checking them and could be a bit slow in releasing them.

See if their install goes a bit smoother with GWX uninstalled and your AV program disabled, but the slowest one will be the MSRT update as it runs a scan on installation.
    Thanks very much!I just did the uninstall on GWX because it serves a purpose no longer.I am still grateful for their help in avoiding the onslaught that MS did in order to force Win 10 down our throat.Knowing them,they will not give up until we all have 10 or turn to Apple,(or drop dead).Thank you all for your valuable help that we(non techies)couldn't do without!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whatever the problem was for me, updates worked just fine this weekend. If you are still having trouble, just start the power to not sleep and let the update run all evening and see what happens.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-11-01)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macko1944 View Post
    Thanks very much!I just did the uninstall on GWX because it serves a purpose no longer.I am still grateful for their help in avoiding the onslaught that MS did in order to force Win 10 down our throat.Knowing them,they will not give up until we all have 10 or turn to Apple,(or drop dead).Thank you all for your valuable help that we(non techies)couldn't do without!
    After a bad experience with Win 10 on one laptop, I factory reset it and restored with a system image I'd created before the upgrade and swore off Win 10 until absolute necessary.

However, I decided to give it another go and had none of the problems I had first time around and now prefer Win 10 to 7 - to the point where I upgraded a second Win 7 laptop to 10.

Fair dos, after the Anniversary Update I've had problems with IE on both but have managed to control them on one.

Why not create recovery disks, a system image, set your computer to permanently boot from CD/DVD and/or USB before the SSD/HDD and give Win 10 a go.

I used the Assistive Technologies link to upgrade my second machine, although I don't know if that is still an option.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/acce...ndows10upgrade

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-11-01)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. After following the advice I got here and other sources I managed to get my Win 7 machine updated. I also needed to download the KB3172605 update to speed up Windows Update again. For the time being things are okay and hopefully will stay that way.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed the speeding-up process detailed in the first post here yesterday:-

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...slow-downloads

The updates recommended were downloaded and installed together with the October updates in the space of about half an hour. That is, incidentally, with GWX Control Panel still active.