Banned Member
    Thanks

Win10 to update or not to update,that is the question

Hey guys,,,i have just recently started using Win10. I keep seeing threads and post talking about Win10 updates. Some good some bad,,, Im getting a little confused. Should i allow Automatic updates or not???
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thanks
    Security updates are "Normally" a good thing, however Upgrades can lead to unwelcome changes sometimes.
    Personally, I have a W10 Pro ( upgraded from W7 Pro ) HP laptop and I am at bld. 1511 and I have "Defer Upgrades" set until ver. 1607 gets more positive reviews. I also have "Metered Connection" set so that I can see what updates are available and see if any are a problem before downloading & installing them.
    Hope this helps.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    All the Windows 10 machines I monitor install updates when they are released. There have been no problems with them. The machines are a variety of desktops, notebooks, & tablets of varying ages and specifications.

You should consider your individual setup. Is your machine of a relatively recent vintage? Do you have any unusual peripherals or software installed? The newer and more standard your setup the better chance you'll not have update problems.
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Computer is only 2yrs old. So far no problems. Thank You ,,that makes me feel a litgle better.

Thanks
    What I'm doing--as are many here--is a regular image of the C: drive, so that you have a recent fallback position if anything goes wrong with a particular update.

I'm on an upgraded Win7 PC, thru Win10 1511 and 1607 to latest updates this week, and so far all has been well.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yeah i have a backup and all my important stuff also on another disk just in case.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    What I'm doing--as are many here--is a regular image of the C: drive, so that you have a recent fallback position if anything goes wrong with a particular update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedhopper View Post
    Yeah i have a backup and all my important stuff also on another disk just in case.
    I also practice periodic imaging in order to be prepared for such a calamity (or even a minor snafu), but haven't had any to speak of (yet). I've been using Windows 10 daily, on a handful of computers, since August of 2015. Updates are automatically downloaded and applied.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanks RockE,,again that makes me feel safer with AU.