3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Poor man's Replication (VB6)

I am attempting to create a routine that will just copy the EXE file created with Visual Basic 6 from the installation directory down to the user's App.Path directory. This is so that I can distribute updates automatically.

The idea is that users will install the application using the setup.exe generated by the package and deployment wizard. Then, each time the user launches the program, it will check the local exe with the exe in the installation setup directory (that I have on the network). If the FileDateTime is different, then it will copy the network exe down and replace itself in the user's App.Path directory.

My question is two fold:

Well, has anyone done anything like this and is this a stupid idea overwriting an exe during the process of its execution?

and

The FileDateTime doesn't appear to work for me because when the file is copied to my HDD from the network, the File Create Date is changed to the current date, meaning it will always copy the file. Should I be using a different method?

Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Poor man's Replication (VB6)

You probably need to check something other than the file date. You could use a registry key or a text file to store a value for comparison and check that against a value in a table to see if they match. If not, then you would run your code to update the front end.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The right way to do this is to calculate some checksum for the .exe.

Include the checksum as a property of the .exe and check the checksum, version, date, and whatever.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I just figured out that I can grab the version information using the File System Object. Now I can determine if there is a new version on the server. I'm not sure what you were referring to regarding Checksum.

Only issue that cropped up from this is that I can't very well copy the exe from the network onto the exe that is executing the code as it is write protected while running. I'm thinking of writing a separate exe that will launch first, do the copying, then launch the program. Do you agree with that approach?

Mike