New Lounger
    Thanks

Impossible to set Word footnote tab style?

Hi all, I'm trying to creating the following footnote style in MS Word (2010):
    fn.png

Basically: the footnote numbers and text are size 12 Garamond, the numbers and the footnote separator are flush left, and the text is indented 3/16 an inch. Is it possible to do this with just styles? I cannot seem to get the tabbing correct for the text (and have to do it manually). (I've accidentally also somehow tabbed the separator and cannot see how to flush it left again.)

E: I should probably also mention that I would like the footnotes in the text to be superscript, but in the footnotes themselves to be regular size.

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by footnotehelp; 2016-10-28 at 14:57.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    B y default, footnotes are pre-formatted in Word with the footnote reference left-aligned, followed by a separator space then the footnote content. The footnote paragraph format is controlled by the Footnote Text Style. You can change the Footnote Text Style to employ a hanging indent. The first line, though, won't respect that unless you change the separator space to a tab. The following macro changes each existing footnote’s separator from the standard space to a tab.
    Code:
    Sub ReformatFootnotes()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim FtNt As Footnote
    For Each FtNt In ActiveDocument.Footnotes
      With FtNt.Range.Characters.First.Previous
        If .Text = " " Then .Text = vbTab
      End With
    Next
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

footnotehelp (2016-10-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    B y default, footnotes are pre-formatted in Word with the footnote reference left-aligned, followed by a separator space then the footnote content. The footnote paragraph format is controlled by the Footnote Text Style. You can change the Footnote Text Style to employ a hanging indent. The first line, though, won't respect that unless you change the separator space to a tab. The following macro changes each existing footnote’s separator from the standard space to a tab.
    Code:
    Sub ReformatFootnotes()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim FtNt As Footnote
    For Each FtNt In ActiveDocument.Footnotes
      With FtNt.Range.Characters.First.Previous
        If .Text = " " Then .Text = vbTab
      End With
    Next
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub
    That worked like a charm, thank you very much! Is there a way to add the following to the same macro?
    1. make the footnote separator flush left (right now mine is indented a half inch) Edit: I figured this out. For those wondering, I added this: ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Separator.ParagraphFormat .FirstLineIndent = InchesToPoints(0)
    2. make the footnote numbers in the text of the document superscript, but the footnote numbers in the footnote full size. Edit: Got this second part to work

(I'm still new to macros are still trying to learn how to create/run them). I really appreciate the help, by the way!

Edith: I think I'm good, so thanks again!
    Last edited by footnotehelp; 2016-10-31 at 14:53.