New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Access 2010 in Win 10 Issue after recent updates

Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 14393.351 64 Bit
    Pre Windows 10 OS - Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
    Microsoft Office 2010 Pro 64 Bit
    Access 2010 Version 14.0.7173.5000 64 Bit

The problem with Access 2010 & 2013 has only occurred on a Windows 10 PC upgraded from Windows 7 Pro and after the most recent updates from Microsoft for both Windows 10 and Office Pro.

While Access runs databases correctly when I want to open a query in Datasheet view Access 2010 & 2013 stops responding or may eventually display Datasheet view after several minutes - even simple queries on small tables.

I have tried the troubleshooting app, reverting to default compatibility settings and also repair the Access installation. I am trying not to have to uninstall and reinstall unless that will definitely fix the issue.

It seems to be a problem if Property Sheet is enabled. With Property Sheet enabled, selecting Datasheet view on a query results in a corrupted layout in the Property Sheet pane and Access hangs. With Property Sheet disabled it seems to work OK for the moment, but I need to see the Property Sheet.

Frustratingly, a PC upgraded from Windows 8 is working fine.

Any useful ideas?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is there a particular reason for running the 64-bit version of office. The 64-bit version of Access is rarely used, and as a result there are very few bug reports. The only strong argument I've seen for using the 64-bit version of Office is if you are working on extremely large Excel workbooks. See Chose the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office 2016 for more details. Unfortunately most of the experts I know are avoiding the 64-bit version, especially with 2010 as word was that it was flakey - see Beware of Office 2010's 64-bit Shortcomings. The other issue that comes to mind is having two versions on the same PC - if the 2010 version was installed after 2013, that can be especially troublesome. Sorry to not be more helpful - perhaps someone else with 64-bit experience will chime in.

Afterthought - be aware that there are no advantages with 64-bit Access, as the file size limits are the same 2 GBytes as the 32-bit version.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My client has 64 bit and 32 bit Access 2010 installations and as code written for 64 bit is generally backwards compatible with 32 bit their databases have been written for 64 bit. There is absolutely no link to Excel.

Up until the last but one Windows 10 or Office updates there have been no issues with either version.

Access 2010 is a better version than 2013 and later as the Dbase and Pivot Table support were removed unilaterally by Microsoft. While Dbase support has been restored, though I understand only in the awful and latest 365 version, Pivot Tables haven't.

In my mind it is definitely and issue with updates to a Windows 7 upgrade. There have been other issues with Windows 10 anniversary updates on what was previously a Win 7 PC, whereas Win 8 upgraded machines have been fine.