Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dymo LabelWriter software stops working

This probably isn't a Windows 10 issue but I thought I'd run it by the group. I've got a Dymo LabelWriter 330 label printer which has been running fine under Windows 10. Today I tried to use it and got this error when I tried to start it:

Dymo.jpg

I did a Google search and it's a problem that a few people are having over multiple operating systems. Just wondering if any of you have seen this and were able to resolve the issue. I tried all of the suggestions posted by Microsoft, Dymo and users and none of them worked. The printer is useless without this software.

Rob

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Exactly which version of Win10? Hold down the Windows key and press R, type winver in the box, will give the Version number and Build number, mine currently is Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.351).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton: Same version and build as you.

Rob

Thanks
    Have you tried DYMO support? http://www.dymo.com/en-US/online-support
    I've had a Labelwriter 400 for years and quite some time ago I tried their support and it was quick and helpful.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lumpy: I created a support ticket today. Given that it's a weekend, perhaps I'll hear from them next week. It's certainly not an emergency; just a bit disconcerting when things just stop working. The only major(ish) change I've made to my machine lately was to remove an Nvidia card and revert back to the built-in Intel graphics. That's actually solved a couple of problems; I hope it didn't introduce a new one. I don't use the Dymo printer often so I'm not sure when it last worked but it was definitely in the last month.

Rob

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy View Post
    Berton: Same version and build as you.

Rob
    Busy today but I found this page and it does not mention support for Win8/8.1/10 but maybe the Win7 software will work:
    http://www.dymo.com/en-US/labelwrite...r#tabContainer

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton: Thanks; I tried loading the Vista-64 drivers but it didn't make a difference. The latest version of the software and drivers are supposed to be compatible with Windows 10-64. It was working. Maybe one of Microsoft's Thursday patches messed up something. Hopefully Dymo will have an answer.

Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On a lark, I decided to try installing an old version of the Dymo software on a Windows XP virtual machine I have running under Oracle Virtual Box. Using USB passthrough, it actually works.

Nothing's easy any more. Nothing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On a lark, I decided to try installing an old version of the Dymo software on a Windows XP virtual machine I have running under Oracle Virtual Box. Using USB passthrough, it actually works.
    When ever anything that was working stops working, then odds are good something got changed/updated. Can you determine if any updates happened between the time it last worked and now?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gsmith - The only significant changes to my machine was removing an Nvidia graphics card to use built-in video and the last Microsoft update. I reinstalled the Nvidia card to see if it made any difference and it didn't. I'm not sure when the software last worked; I rarely use the printer. I opened a ticket with Dymo and received suggestions from two different support people. They're all suggestions I've already seen via Google searches and none of them make a difference.

I'll let Dymo know that their suggestions didn't fix anything and ask for next steps.

Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Happy ending (if anyone cares). The nice people at Dymo sent me an older version of the program that doesn't use Microsoft .NET Framework and it works like a champ. The program has that nostalgic Windows 95 look to it but heck, it works. And to echo Lumpy95's comment above, the customer support people at Dymo seem very eager to solve your problems.

Thanks
    Glad to hear it's working again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Happy ending (if anyone cares). The nice people at Dymo sent me an older version of the program that doesn't use Microsoft .NET Framework and it works like a champ.
    I was going to ask if you had tried an older version of the software. We had a Dymo label printer in my office for a while and had to be very careful that the driver/software didn't get updated.

Printers are notorious for using installed programs that bypass the normal print process and are very subject to being screwed up by updates. For that reason, I tried to always keep a copy of the original software that came with a printer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I was going to ask if you had tried an older version of the software. We had a Dymo label printer in my office for a while and had to be very careful that the driver/software didn't get updated.

Printers are notorious for using installed programs that bypass the normal print process and are very subject to being screwed up by updates. For that reason, I tried to always keep a copy of the original software that came with a printer.
    I had an extremely old version (v6) of the program but I hesitated to install it thinking it might cause more issues. The Dymo folks sent me v7 and that worked OK. I actually had two people working on my problem; one sent me the old software (which works) and the other told me not to install it because it wouldn't work. I had to explain to her that it was in fact working.

Apparently version 8 of their software uses .NET Framework 3.5 and it's having issues on some machines.

Thanks
    Version 7 is the one I stayed with on Win 7 ( haven't tried it on Win 10 yet ). I tried Version 8 on Win 7 and didn't like it.