2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet crashing on only one device in the house.

Our internet comes via our phoneline. We use a series of TP link extenders and adapters (wired and Wifif) to connect to different parts of the house as we have quite thick walls. The service is reasonably fast and mostly reliable. However, recently, the internet connection one of our PCs has starting crashing frequently, though at irregular intervals. This is not happening on other devices throughout the house, so I assume it is not the ISP which is at fault. The PC is connected to the system with a wired connection to one of the TP-Link adapters. I have tried using a different adapter, and this has not made any difference.

So I assume the fault must either be in the part of the electrical mains circuit into which this adapter is plugged, or else it as a fault with the PC. I tried placing a laptop nearby to see if its internet connection failed at the same time as the PC, but of course, Sodís law intervened, and no crashes occurred during the three hours when it was sitting there!

I would like to know if there is some ways of getting a record of the internet history on the all our devices, so I can leave them running over a long period. If both crash at the same time, in which case I must assume that it is something in the TP-link system that is failing. If only the one PC crashes, then this narrows it down to that PC.

Or is there something else I should so?

Any advice gratefully received.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What you describe sounds very like my own experience, also with TP-Link extenders.

I'm afraid that I just live with it. I think it's the TP-Link extenders that go off from time to time. I log off from the system tray and log back on, and it works until the next time.

I use two extenders, and I think have tried swapping them over, to see whether it's particular to one or the other, though without detectable improvement.

Other people have posted reports of irritation with TP-Link extenders, so I am fairly sure that I (and now you) are not alone.

Thanks
    Probably not helpful but, after first using two Devolo extenders with no success, I also ended up returning 2 TP-Link extenders after a months use for a similar reason, i.e. they kept dropping connections (and wouldn't play ball with other makes of Powerline extenders).

I ended up using much more expensive BT 500 Powerline extenders throughout and they have proved to be supremely reliable over the last nearly 2 years. (I've only had to power cycle one of the 4 extenders in all this time.)

TP-Link support were very patient at the time but after 20+ emails between us and getting no further in resolving the problems I must admit I now stay away from TP-Link (and Devolo) extenders. Whilst I continue to use BT 500 kit for my own use, I've also had a great deal of success with cheaper Netgear extenders that I've bought on behalf of friends and family.

Personally I believe the TP-Link extenders couldn't cope with the number of wireless devices in use. The worst location was the kitchen. At mealtimes there would be 4 or 5 people, all but one with smartphones in their pockets and at least 1 iPad. The TP-Link extender kept dropping connections as the number of wireless devices increased whilst the BT 500 extender has taken it in its stride.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

JohnFleming (2016-10-31)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by epzcaw View Post
    So I assume the fault must either be in the part of the electrical mains circuit into which this adapter is plugged, or else it as a fault with the PC.
    Sounds like you have the right idea about troubleshooting your problem. I have a client who had a similar problem which was solved by moving an electric coffee maker to another outlet (across the room, and supplied by a different distribution circuit). So, don't ignore possible interference by various electrical devices. Finding such problems can make you want to pull your hair out!
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Maybe something is going on with that device and not your connection. Was something loaded or changed on that paticular device before this happened?
    Last edited by Weedhopper; 2016-10-30 at 19:50.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your comments - sounds as if TP Link could be the problem. But it is only happening at one access point. That is why I need to explore whether it is a problem with the link or with the PC.

In reply to Weedhopper, nothing new was loaded on the problem PC, as far as I know. Is it possible that there is hardware or software problem in the PC which is causing the problem?

It would be useful to be able to monitor the internet connection on both the failing PC and another one, both connected from the same link, to see if the fault occurs on both at the same time. I have found several pieces of software, some free, some paid for, which say they will monitor internet connection, and record when it is interrupted. I wonder if anyone can recommend one of these - I am reluctant to download anything without a recommendation.

Thanks again.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Did this just start happening. Guess my question is,,was it working just fine untill recently? If so you can try a simple System Restore to a point before it started happening. If that doesnt work then we can look at maybe a Hardware problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by epzcaw View Post
    I have found several pieces of software, some free, some paid for, which say they will monitor internet connection, and record when it is interrupted. I wonder if anyone can recommend one of these - I am reluctant to download anything without a recommendation.
    Gizmo's site is one of the places I always check when I want a specific software, they're generally good and careful about their recommendations. Try this comprehensive Network Traffic Monitoring list of suggestions.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's what I would do. Since you have multiple TP Link extenders and multiple devices, you have a wide open troubleshooting opportunity. That's what stands out to me.

What you want to do is to swap locations, one device that has internet troubles with one device that does not have the same troubles. If each device continues to behave in the same way in their new location, then it's the computing device that has the issue. If the devices trade problems, then the trouble is external to those devices and that implicates the TP Link extenders.

I have another suggestion. I'm not clear if only the internet is crashing or if the entire device is failing. Your post suggests to me the former. However if it is the latter, there is a great little tool in Windows 7 and higher called the Reliability Monitor.

Select Start | Control Panel | Action Center | Maintenance | Check For Solutions to Problem Reports (a subheading only, do not click) | View Reliability History.

In fact even if the entire system isn't failing, this is probably a good tool to check. The report output is all live clickable, and I'd suggest you probably want to focus on the output category called "Application Failures".

The other great advantage of this tool is that it organizes multiple data sources around the concept of reliability and plots that over time. This sort of view was never available in XP and while not an everyday tool, when you need this view, you really need it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-11-06)