3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How good is Windows Defender? Can I forego Sophos?

For upwards of 15 years, I have been running Sophos Endpoint Security and Control. I have not (touch wood) had any problems with viruses or other malicious beasts.

Its now time to renew the subscription, but I find that its horrendously expensive! It will now cost me almost R12 000 per year (R1000 per month).

I don't spend that on hosting my servers!!

How reliable and effective is the built in Windows Defender in Windows 10? Could I rely on the free software to protect me as effectively as Sophos has?

What can I use to protect Windows Server2008R2 machines that will not cost me? If there's nothing straightforward, then I'll have to bit the bullet and go with Sophos again....!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I've used nothing but Defender as my main line of defense on Win10 and have been fine. I also use the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to periodically scan as a second opinion. Then every couple months I use one of the free online scanners from a major a/v firm just as an extra precaution. I rotate between the online scanners I use as all the detection mechanisms are slightly different.

Sorry but I don't have a good suggestion for Windows Server.
    Joe

Thanks
    +1 but you will probably hear a number of other responses. There are several AV packages that are rated slightly higher in detection rates but none as unobtrusive as Defender. For me as for Joe, Defender isn't great but good enough especially when combined with periodic MalwareBytes scans.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as being "unobtrusive" is concerned, you should check the various AV testing sites for that information.
    Generally, Defender is rated poorly for performance, despite being a built-in application.
    I would definitely look elsewhere for a better product.

Thanks
    Trev, if you look deeper into those AV tests, you'll find that they have (at least historically) mentioned that MS releases their data to the others, MS, due to their huge database (from MSRT every month), made the decision long ago to concentrate their efforts to the malware that was most likely to hit Windows installs, rather than try (or pretend) to cover all bases. That the others should be better in these artificial tests should come as no surprise.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wasn't referring to malware at all, merely performance; namely the effect on computer system speed by using the various AV products.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I started a thread on this same topic a month or so ago and there are 5 pages worth of discussion.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Please post a link to that thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I started a thread on this same topic a month or so ago and there are 5 pages worth of discussion.
    Thanks Mr Smith!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Does your ISP not have comprehensive security already setup on your servers? They should. Or are you your own ISP?

Since Sophos is focused on the enterprise market, I would prefer a product focused on the home & SOHO market for home & SOHO use. Enterprise usually costs a lot as you say, and also presumes you have IT people to set it up properly and monitor.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb