Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Opting out of Penton Media emails

Had it up to here with the influx of spam from Penton Media all of a sudden so here's what I did: under the contact Window Secrets tab of the main site is an 800 number which goes to Penton Media (those Data Center emails I was getting have the same corporate address so they should be included). I called and told the very nice lady what I needed: to have my email address scrubbed from the system, which she gladly did. I let her know why and that I would contact the editors of the newsletter separately to say goodbye and good luck as they won't be able to send me a newsletter anymore.

Making as spam, unsubscribing, that had no effect and I knew it wouldn't after I read the link to the Wikipedia discussion about this company. They are all about spam and not about helping ME. If they were they would have not have ruined a perfectly nice newsletter.

I registered for the forums just so I could post this, I guess I'll be on my own now. My 'username' says it all.
    Last edited by notahappycamper; 2016-10-31 at 11:34. Reason: forgot a word

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't subscribe to the newsletter but have had two emails from Penton to tell me about an upcoming convention.

I've hit Unsubscribe twice and am waiting to see if I get any more from them.

BTW - Welcome to the forum

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sure I unsubscribed from Penton soon after the takeover when they started sending me stuff that was of absolutely no interest to me, although I continued to receive newsletters ok, and it otherwise went quiet. Just in the past few days, however, I've started receiving Penton stuff again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some companies that use an opt out that is similar to that used by MailChimp - it works directly with the database and you are immediately removed.

There are some companies who apparently give the removal request to someone who apparently only works one day a month and who will remove your name whenever they get around to it.

There are some companies who simply ignore removal requests.

The latter two are why email scrubbers were created.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some companies even use "opt in."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidHLevin View Post
    Some companies even use "opt in."
    For too many, the act of visiting their web site constitutes an Opt In. It's like picking up a can of soup off the shelf to look at the ingredients and finding out you just bought it.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I keep receiving penton emails that I don't want. I've clicked on the unsubscribe button each time I get one (four maybe five times now) It looks like it was acknowledged and yet the next day I get another one. I'm thinking of filtering out anything from penton, but not sure if that would also filter out the newsletter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BjornF View Post
    I keep receiving penton emails that I don't want. I've clicked on the unsubscribe button each time I get one (four maybe five times now) It looks like it was acknowledged and yet the next day I get another one. I'm thinking of filtering out anything from penton, but not sure if that would also filter out the newsletter.
    Read post # 26 http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-selling/page2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

BjornF (2016-11-04)

Thanks
    Yes, that method will block them sending you the newsletter, see my response to #13 there.

Thanks
    Well sure enough, after unsubscribing to just the Penton address, my $25.00 WS newsletter didn't show up this morning.

I just used the contact button so will see what happens, here is my query:
    2 weeks ago I unsubscribed from the Penton email address because I was getting upset with all the spam for things that I will never use and having to unsubscribe from each and every one.
    This morning my Paid Windows Secrets newsletter didn't show up. I paid the $25.00 subscription fee some time ago and now I have nothing to show for it.
    There MUST be a way to unsubscribe from the Penton spam and still receive the newsletter that I paid for.
    Is there a solution or did I just get screwed??
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-11-08 at 10:47.

Thanks
    So far all I got was an acknowledgement ( from WS ) of receiving the email this morning, but nothing else.

Thanks
    You clicked on the Contact button here which deals with Lounge Forum issues. You need to contact the newsletter people here:
    https://windowssecrets.com/contact/

Jerry

Thanks
    Hi Jerry, The first contact I emailed was the one at the bottom of the page:
    Contact 1.JPG
    Then I got a private message from Joe to use the contact from the top, which was my second one ( actually I think I copied the editor at WS email address and used gmail to send it ).
    Contact 2.JPG

Thanks
    Still no word from WS as to newsletters. Guess I threw $25.00 into the wind unless I go to my knees and pray for spam.

Thanks
    Based on the one question I submitted to them, it could take a week for a reply.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast