2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks

Move (clone?) HD w/ XP to new MB?

Q1: Is it possible to move a HD with Win XP to a different PC and maintain all the software as is?
    Q2: If the above is possible, does the following indicate the saved original HD is defective?

Frank has a 3-user management system, Progress 4GL on Windows XP. I sold and installed the system 20 years ago.Frank called to say his "PC died." My biggest concern was his data.

I installed this HD in another old PC and tried to boot from Frank's HD, even though I did not expect it would work. I get 4 choices:
    [LIST][*]Windows XP Pro[*]Windows XP Pro [*]Windows 2000 [*]Windows /LIST]
    I tried both the XP Pro options - didn't work, but I wasn't expecting it to.

To verify his data was intact, I attached his HD as a secondary HD on my old PC. I could read/write and everything seemed to be there.

I tried installing the original management system on a new system. I failed despite many hours and much digging. I have original media, I've done this dozens of times (20 years ago), but I simply could not get the Progress client to find the DB. Many hours. Much frustration.

So I tried to fix Frank's PC. I was able to figure out that it was caused by bad memory (now fixed). After restarting, the BIOS found the HD and CD-ROM. I got the same 4 boot choices:
    • Windows XP Pro - this choice restarts the PC immediately
    • Windows XP Pro - this brings up "could not read" and HW disk error message
    • Windows 2000 - this brings up "could not read" and HW disk error message
    • Windows - this brings up a flashing cursor in top left of screen

I wanted to try "repairing" XP, but his CD-ROM would not open. So I put a new DVD reader in and rebooted. Now I get:
    • 0523-AE : IDE Device #3 Error
    • 0401-AE : CD-ROM Error

OK - why an IDE problem?
    • Previously I had seen this message and fixed it by moving the IDE MB cable from primary to secondary and it got it working. I had to do this a couple of times. This time it had no effect.
    • I dug out another IDE cable. Same error messages.
    • I disconnected the new DVD - same messages. (including the CD-ROM error)
    • I reconnedted the DVD and disconnected the HD - same messages

HELP! I obviously am drowning. And THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO GOT THIS FAR! That's fabulous...

PS - I have been able to get the Progress management system working with his data in 1-user mode. That saves Frank's life! But I sure wish I could get the multi-user system working.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Have you checked your boot order and settings in BIOS.
    I only ask because you were getting some cd rom errors.
    Last edited by Weedhopper; 2016-10-31 at 16:11.

2 Star Lounger
    Boston suburb (Acton), Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks
    I've tried boot order HD 1st, CD 1st, I've added ethernet and disabled ethernet

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Virtualize the disk before doing anything else. Then you can fire it up on new hardware while you work out what you are going to do - I'd leave it virtual.

VMware Converter should allow you to boot from CD and clone.
    https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/inf...standalone/5_5

You can convert an existing Macrium Image to VHD.
    http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseA...x?Keywords=VHD
    Or direct with EaseUS.
    http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...2v-migrate.htm

You can build a new virtual XP machine and restore, although this may be problematic with disk drivers.

cheers, Paul