3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chrome print problem

[Earlier I stumbled around with this problem in the Win7 list, and made various errors, but the problem is now clearly Chrome, so I'm posting a fresh start here]
    There is a printing problem for some of us in Chrome version 54, which appeared on my main PC 10/21 or within a couple of days earlier.
    On the Google Chrome Help Forums you can find a few postings referring to almost certainly the same problem. Here's what I posted there today, in response to one of these postings:
    "I have had a bad problem which might be the same. I have Windows7 (both 64 and 32 bit). After Chrome updated to version 54, I started getting occasional missing lines in the printouts of articles. This is particularly bad with articles from the Hebrew Haaretz paper. The same article will have the same missing lines repeatedly. There are missing spots in other (English) items, and sometimes spaces are peppered throughout several pages. The problem was worse when I disabled the extensions, and it was worse when I switched from 32bit Chrome to 64 on my main computer. If I print to pdf, then I can print from the pdf file and there are no errors.(My ver: 54.0.2840.71, official build m 32bit)"
    Earlier I thought this problem didn't affect our other, infrequently used, computer, based on my quick check on 10-27, but that day (presumably later) Chrome updated, and now it shows the same problem.
    So, if you notice missing lines, or spaces (in an article or headers or footers), or if you have any ideas, please advise. I sure hope a fix comes.
    Meanwhile, there's only the pdf workaround (print to pdf file first, and then print from the pdf file rather than Chrome).
    Note: Originally my problem was apparently fixed when I went to a 10-18 restore point. But later it all reverted, and now that it's clear that it's a Chrome version problem, it's easy to see why.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note, FYI: Lots of reports of related problems at
    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...tail?id=658606

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The latest from the bug forum:
    "This should be fixed in the near future, when the next Chrome update comes out. The version bumber for Chrome 54 will be 54.0.2840.93 or newer. After which, the command line switch workaround should no longer be needed because it has been enabled by default."
    The command line switch workaround referred to is something I've seen described but is technically
    beyond me. (If interested, check at the link in the previous posting.)
    But the good news about the fix being just around the corner, and the identifying version number
    was something I thought worth sharing here.
    Edit: Notice the version I reported originally ended in 71, and already we're
    at 87.
    Last edited by yerubal; 2016-11-02 at 18:52.

Thanks
    Thanks for staying on top of the problem as I'm sure it will affect others seeking info on the problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Lumpy.
    Here's an update:
    Remember, my workaround was to print to pdf first, and then print from pdf.
    Someone discovered that switching the printer to use postscript (PS) drivers works.
    That's the first workaround that's simple enough so that even I can understand it.
    Also, the pros report that
    "This was fixed in internal build 54.0.2840.93 and was not publicly released yet."
    I think that's the closest we've been.
    EDIT UPDATE OF NOV 6: In the Chrome bug forum, we just got this:
    "Build 54.0.2840.93 will never be released. I would expect it to be released officially between build 54.0.2840.100 and ...110 which won't be much longer. I would say it's likely to be 5-10 more days."
    EDIT UPDATE OF NOV 7: In my experience at least, Chrome Canary (the cutting-edge
    Chrome version for developers) ( https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/canary.html )
    does not have the print problem. This version can be downloaded and operated
    alongside the regular Chrome version.
    Last edited by yerubal; 2016-11-07 at 18:19.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whoops. I did a couple of updates to my Nov 3 posting. I didn't realize
    that the date shown would be unchanged, so I'm posting this so it will be clear
    that there are updates (see the 11-3 post).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Today, Chrome updated, when I went to Help/About, to ver. 54.0.2840.99 m
    and the problem no longer appears for me, and I hope the same
    for everyone else.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to yerubal For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-11-09)

Thanks
    Mine just updated to 54.0.2840.99 m although I hadn't noticed the problem you were having.