2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Programs considered incompatible by Windows 10

While I have a lot of grumbles with Windows 10 since it was installed late last year, these were mainly related to behaviour and appearance. By and large everything operated in much the same way as in earlier versions of Windows. However, a couple of weeks ago, when I started up my computer 2007 Compaq Presario), there was an elaborate sequence of displays on the screen and some messages saying that Windows 10 had had a makeover to make it more useful and attractive to users. (I assume this is the Anniversary version mentioned in many posts). After that, quite a few programs (some of them old-fashioned games such as Solitaire which I simply use for doodling while I am wondering what to do next!) have stopped working. Mostly the blue wheel (which usually indicates that the program is starting up) runs for a moment or two, then disappears.

I have tried using the Compatibility Troubleshooting program to determine what I can do next, but every run ends with an Incompatible Program report (a bit odd, considering that they are Microsoft games - one would have thought that they would have been nice enough to bring them up to date).

I deleted the games (well, I moved them to an external drive - after all, I might want to throw up my hands and go back to Windows 7 or 8!) and then went to the Microsoft store to see whether I could replace them. When I tried to download them, I got a message to say that they were already installed, so perhaps did upgrade my copies after all, but I cannot find them anywhere. I was able to download one game, a version of Chess, but after the download was reported as complete, I could not find it anywhere on the system.

Can any of you clever people who have bored into the tiny minds of MS techies please tell me what is going on and how to work around it.

Thank you in anticipation.

jim_from_oz (perhaps I should move to USA to get a clearer picture!)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If it is within 10 days of the update then you can roll back to 1511 but otherwise, use the MCT to create a Win 10 install disk then perform a repair install which won't affect your installed programs or personal stuff.

I haven't had any problems with Klondike after the August Update.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

jim_from_oz (2016-11-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 10 uninstalls windows 7/8 games. You can use this link to install them.
    http://winaero.com/blog/get-windows-...or-windows-10/

Mark

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mledman For This Useful Post:

jim_from_oz (2016-11-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I apologise for the delay in responding. I did as you suggested, Mark, and downloaded the installation program. The first time I ran it, the installation seemed to be working, but the programs still would not run. I then went through my system and deleted all possible references, including some I had stored on an external drive. This time, the installation worked beautifully!
    I still cannot get it clear in my head whether Microsoft is trying to control everything we do on our computers or whether they are simply trying to push us into learning every last little thing about our systems! Whatever, with advice like I get from this site, my fear of MS is diminishing sharply!
    Thanks again!
    Jim_from_oz

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_from_oz View Post
    my fear of MS is diminishing sharply!
    That's a worry.

For the most part, software that runs on Win 7 & 8 will also run on Win 10. That said, being able to run in any of these environments doesn't make the software compatible with them. If you have a Win 7 or 8 system handy with some software whose compatibility with Win 10 you're concerned about, you could run the Win 10 compatibility checker.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

jim_from_oz (2016-11-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm glad you found success!

Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want your games and have a Microsoft account, click on the store icon and you can download them free and they work fine on Win 10. I sign in to my computers with a MS account and when I click on a game on my start menu, the game opens and automatically signs you in. I use the Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Mah Jong, and Hearts. All free downloads.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thedaltons For This Useful Post:

jim_from_oz (2016-11-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_from_oz View Post
    quite a few programs (some of them old-fashioned games such as Solitaire which I simply use for doodling while I am wondering what to do next!) have stopped working. Mostly the blue wheel (which usually indicates that the program is starting up) runs for a moment or two, then disappears.
    This sounds like problems I have had — which are apparently about corrupt data, not about program compatibility.

To reinitialize the data of a program: Parameters / System (…Applications…) / Applications and Features / click on your application (e-g Microsoft Solitaire Collection) / Advanced Options / Reinitialize. You loose the program's data (Solitaire's statistics) but it will run again.

How an application such as Solitaire, whose statistics should have a rather simple format, can corrupt its data is a mystery to me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to calbaret For This Useful Post:

jim_from_oz (2016-11-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, colleagues all. The fact that I need (and get) useful information from all you very clever people, is humbling, to say the least.

I wrote my first computer programs in 1967 (fortran, algol, cobol) and, as a database guy, worked on Informix products from the mid 1970s until my retirement in the early noughties. One thing I have noticed is that in recent years, and probably due to the emergence of big Data, there is a lot more documentation and published advice around. I still get engaged in the odd project (usually website development using systems such as Squarespace) but the amount of study has increased exponentially! That is why I consult Windows Secrets on various well-defined problems, so that I can get back to my manuals as soon as possible. You can all take at least one bow!

jim_from_oz (known in other universes as Jim Wright).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some changes to the way programs "register" with Win10 and I've seen reports of some programs having to be reinstalled. I have a few older programs that install and run correctly but don't appear in the Start menu. I've had a lot of problems with some portable apps I've tried to use as well.

Rolling back from the AU may get your programs back, but it is ultimately self defeating since sooner or later this upgrade is going to be forced on you. If reinstalling the apps doesn't work, then you may be stuck looking for replacements. It pains me to say but any older programs that have problems like this are probably better off being replaced, since things are much more likely to get worse than better for them.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)