New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Backup question

Running Windows 10 Home AU (1607).

When performing a Windows back up (using File History) a message stating the following appears:

You are currently on a network where additional charges may apply when performing a backup.

I'm backing up to a USB-attached external HDD. So why/how does that use bandwidth on my internet connection? Makes no sense to me. What am I missing?Capture.PNG
    Last edited by unbob; 2016-11-20 at 10:30.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Really? No replies in almost 3 weeks? I'm the only one who's seen this message?

Thanks
    Running Windows 10 Home AU (1607).

When performing a Windows back up (using File History) a message stating the following appears:

You are currently on a network where additional charges may apply when performing a backup.
    That's basically a warning that if you are using an offsite ( dropbox etc. ) service, that you could incur ISP fee's.
    Hope this helps

Thanks
    I missed it somehow. Sorry.
    The only other thing that comes to mind is that Windows thinks there is a metered connection over WiFi.
    Click the Start button and select Settings / Network & Internet / Wi-Fi / Advanced options. On the screen that appears, go to the "Metered connection" setting and set the slider from on to off. If you're connected to a network via Ethernet, the "Metered connection" setting won't appear.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    The only other thing that comes to mind is that Windows thinks there is a metered connection over WiFi.
    Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I certainly am using a metered connection over wifi. But the message should only appear if I'm backing up to a non-local device - correct? Otherwise, why display the the message?

Thanks
    It appears to be a general warning in case you do use offsite storage, appearing regardless of where the backup is to be saved.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    It appears to be a general warning in case you do use offsite storage, appearing regardless of where the backup is to be saved.
    My assumption also. But really dumb software.