New Lounger
    Thanks

Changed W10 Start - How to find Settings?

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't find an answer to my question anywhere.

I replaced the Windows 10 Start menu with Classic Shell. I remember reading that there's a way to switch back to the MS W10 menu but can't remember how. If someone will tell me, I'll make sure I keep a note of it.

Better still, if someone can tell me how to find the Windows Update settings via Control Panel, I will set that up in Classic Shell so I can find it easily. When I see that W10 has updated my computer, I want to know what was done so I can make a note of it, in case I start to have problems.

TIA.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurieN View Post
    ...I replaced the Windows 10 Start menu with Classic Shell. I remember reading that there's a way to switch back to the MS W10 menu but can't remember how...

In Win10 with ClassicShell installed click on Start then click on the uppermost button in the start menu (left side). That will display the Win10 start menu.

Windows Update is not in Win10's Control Panel; instead go to the Win10 start menu as above, click the "Settings" button (the "gear" button on the left), then click on "Update & security". Note the "Update history" link beneath the "Check for updates" button.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

LaurieN (2016-11-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, Coochin, but I don't have that button in ClassicShell. I'm using v. 4.3.0.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, Coochin, but I don't have that button in ClassicShell. I'm using v. 4.3.0.
    W10_CS.jpg
    ClassicShell v4.3.0 start menu w/ Win10 start menu button at top.

W10_Settings.jpg
    "Settings" button in Win10 start menu.

W10_Settings-1.jpg
    Win10 "Settings" dialog w/ arrow pointing to "Update & security" button.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

LaurieN (2016-11-04)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also use Classic Shell with Win 10.

Another route to "Settings" is via the "Notifications" icon, taskbar, I have it far right, right of date and time, just next to where you go to show the desktop.

In MS's inconsistent migration from Control Panel to Settings, Windows Update is one of the icons that no longer appears in Control Panel; it's only in Settings. I think that Coochin already said that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnFleming For This Useful Post:

LaurieN (2016-11-04)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurieN
    Better still, if someone can tell me how to find the Windows Update settings via Control Panel, I will set that up in Classic Shell so I can find it easily. When I see that W10 has updated my computer, I want to know what was done so I can make a note of it, in case I start to have problems.
    If you have Windows 10 Anniversary Update (i.e. version 1607) then you can create a desktop shortcut that will take you to View your update history directly. (This doesn't work with version 1511.)

winupdatehistory.gif
    Click to view animation

1. Copy this: ms-settings:windowsupdate-history
    2. Right-click on desktop.
    3. Choose New > Shortcut.
    4. Paste the text from step 1 into the Type the location of the item text entry box then click the Next button.
    5. Type Windows Update History for the shortcut name and click on the Finish button.

Hope this helps...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

LaurieN (2016-11-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Coochin. That's not the ClassicShell v. 4.3.0 I have. Here's what I have: http://www.classicshell.net/

There is no Win10 start menu button.

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just went to the Notifications menu, but it still won't show me what Windows has installed.

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately (actually fortunately) I still don't have the anniversay update, just 1511. I'd like to get it, but I dread having any problems that so many people have had with it. Since I only have Windows 10 Home--upgraded the last possible week from Win 8.1--maybe I'll be lucky & not have any problems.

Thanks for the instructions. I'll keep them to use after the update to v. 1607.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The update history really does not tell you much. If you want more information see Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 update history. Expand any of the nodes to get more detail.
    Joe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

LaurieN (2016-11-04)

Lounger
    Thanks
    ...I replaced the Windows 10 Start menu with Classic Shell. I remember reading that there's a way to switch back to the MS W10 menu but can't remember how...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    In Win10 with ClassicShell installed click on Start then click on the uppermost button in the start menu (left side). That will display the Win10 start menu.

Windows Update is not in Win10's Control Panel; instead go to the Win10 start menu as above, click the "Settings" button (the "gear" button on the left), then click on "Update & security". Note the "Update history" link beneath the "Check for updates" button.
    LaurieN, you don't need to go via the Windows 10 Start Menu. You can configure Classic Shell to show (a shortcut to) the Win 10 Settings app in the Classic Shell Start Menu. Classic Shell calls the app PC Settings - see the highlighted line in this picture that probably tells all about how it is done:
    Classic Start Settings.jpg

HTH
    mo.eu

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mo.eu For This Useful Post:

LaurieN (2016-11-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mo.eu View Post
    LaurieN, you don't need to go via the Windows 10 Start Menu. You can configure Classic Shell to show (a shortcut to) the Win 10 Settings app in the Classic Shell Start Menu. Classic Shell calls the app PC Settings - see the highlighted line in this picture that probably tells all about how it is done:
    Classic Start Settings.jpg
    HTH
    mo.eu
    Thanks, mo.eu, for this information. I found another way to get to the Windows Start menu from ClassicShell and decided to use that. This must be what Coochin was talking about. I pinned an icon of the Start menu in the area above the Start button. I found the icon here:
    Classic Shell > Settings > Main Menu > Show Start screen shortcut

Now I can get to the PC Settings & any other part of the Windows 10 menu I need.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to go to the Windows Start Menu from the Classic Shell menu, here is how I do it.
    Hold down the shift key while clicking on the Classic Shell start button. That will open the Windows Start Menu.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bellboy View Post
    If you want to go to the Windows Start Menu from the Classic Shell menu, here is how I do it.
    Hold down the shift key while clicking on the Classic Shell start button. That will open the Windows Start Menu.
    Thanks for posting that, bellboy. I had finally found my instructions for doing that but forgot to return here to note it. Maybe your post will help someone else.