Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

HP Pavilion Desktop DVD/CD Player Making Loud Noises with DVD inserted

All of a sudden, the DVD/CD player on our HP Pavilion desktop (running Windows 7.1) has started making very strange, loud, sort of buzzing noises when trying to play a disc. With some discs, the noise stops once the program plays; with others, the disc will not load the program. It just keeps making that loud sound as it spins (I suspect it's spinning anyway!). The discs load fine - and quietly - in the laptop.

Does this mean the player is dying or in need of repair? Is there a way I can test it to find out? Don't want to wreck anything!

Any suggestions most welcome and always appreciated.

Linda

Thanks
    Does this mean the player is dying or in need of repair?
    In my opinion, Yes. If under warranty contact HP. If not, replace it. They are not very expensive these days anyhow.
    Hope this helps.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 943 Posts
    +1 for replacement.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    DVD/CD player ... making very strange, loud, sort of buzzing noises
    Don anti-static and hazmat gear, and check inside your PC for a bees' nest.

Moving right along. It's likely a bearing is going bad in the drive, or sth else which results in the spin going a little off balance--with the speed those drives spin at, it only needs a tiny off-center variation to imitate bees. While it shouldn't damage discs or anything else, it'll drive you nuts after a while.

Does your PC sit on a surface which is subject to vibration, like a table with a room fan or small fridge on it? It's unlikely, but that could cause those symptoms too, especially if anything new was introduced to the room when the problem started.

Also no harm to open the case and have a quick look at how the drive is mounted. Are the brackets and screws tight? Maybe someone opened it recently and forgot to tighten up properly.

With all that, as the guys said, they're cheap to replace.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 943 Posts
    Buzzing noises generally indicate multiple attempts to read a track so the heads buzz back and forth over a few tracks. This is either due to a bad CD or a failing drive.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2016-11-11)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Apology and Update

Sheesh, guys, so sorry for not responding. For some reason, I was notified of only lumpy's first reply.

Anyway, here's the update: looks as if lumpy, Paul et al were right: the drive is failing or has failed. It won't play any discs now as I discovered trying to load a printer install CD. I may get brave enough to look inside, but for now, I wonder if an external USB drive could be a temporary low cost work around.

PC is Windows 7 and about 5 years old, so don't want to spend a lot on it...nor do I want to upgrade yet. I found a number of these drives on Newegg. Would anyone have time to check out the link and let me know if the VicJake one on sale for $16.39 would work. I think my USB is a 2.0, given age of HP Pavilion PC.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1

If it will work, I'll order it for a late Christmas present for my computer!

Thanks for any advice. Realize "tis the season" so you might all be otherwise occupied, but will check back here even if no email notification.

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2016-12-22 at 17:21. Reason: Duh, forgot link!

Thanks
    The VicJake one on sale for $16.39 should be fine. Although the advert describes it as 'all version MAC', clicking on the link shows it works with Windows systems as well, including Windows 7.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    +1 for Rick's assessment.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much, Rick and lumpy. I needed reassurance as replacing PC hardware is definitely NOT a personal area of expertise!

I'm going to go ahead and order it and will let you know how it works out.

Sure appreciate you taking time to check out the link for me and evaluate my choice.

Linda

P.S. Oops, just reading its specs, saw this: "When you connect the CD drive to the desktops, please connect it with the computer's mortherboard to avoid of power shortage." Is this a problem? I sure don't know how to connect anything to the motherboard!
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2016-12-22 at 19:47. Reason: Added question in P.S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    ...P.S. Oops, just reading its specs, saw this: "When you connect the CD drive to the desktops, please connect it with the computer's mortherboard to avoid of power shortage." Is this a problem? I sure don't know how to connect anything to the motherboard!
    I think they mean you should connect the drive to one of the USB ports on the rear of the PC. Those rear ports are almost always mounted directly on the motherboard, while the front USB ports usually are wired to pins on the motherboard, so the front ports might not supply enough power.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda
    Oops, just reading its specs, saw this: "When you connect the CD drive to the desktops, please connect it with the computer's mortherboard to avoid of power shortage." Is this a problem? I sure don't know how to connect anything to the motherboard!
    I have one of these slimline external optical drives and usually it works OK using just the one connector cable (power + data). However, on occasion I have to use the second cable (just power) as well, particularly when used with some laptops. With desktops/towers, Coochin's correct... use the rear USB ports whenever possible.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Just to be a little more specific, the area on the back of your computer where the snap-in plate is ( where you generally plug in your mouse & keyboard & onboard sound/video ). Hopefully you have an open USB port there because those ports are directly to the MB.
    Personally, I would just get an internal DVD/CD player since it's relatively simple to change them out and they are cheap now-a-days. You would just need to know if the connection is SATA or the older IDE.
    Hope this helps

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank all of you so much. I now understand what is meant re. motherboard. Good learning!

Also note lumpy95's advice...just nervous re. doing install myself.

Will ponder a bit more and post back "ponder outcome".

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your detailed and clear explanations and super fast responses!

Many thanks once again,

Linda

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda
    Also note lumpy95's advice...just nervous re. doing install myself.
    HP Pavilions, both desktop and tower models, are engineered to be (almost) tool-free. Once you take the case lid off (usually secured by a single screw then slid backwards) you need to gently un-clip the front fascia so the optical drive can be pushed forward, un-plugged and removed. If you let us know the exact model no. then we can confirm this from its manual and probably whether the optical drive is SATA or IDE. (Or download/run Piriform's Speccy... this will tell you the make/model of optical drive.)

The only possible, and very slight, hiccup is that - whilst the optical drive is held in a drive enclosure and can be released without tools - HP tend to use 4 screws with Torx-heads on the drive itself, and these usually need to be transferred over to any replacement.

Having said that... it's a very, very easy job to do and should take less than 30 minutes even if you've never taken the top off a PC before.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Linda:

If you get an external drive, you will be able to use it on all of your computers, not just the one in question. And it won't be that expensive.

It's not that hard to replace the internal ones -- to remove the bad drive, just power down, open the case, unplug a couple of wires, and remove a couple of screws. To install the new drive is the reverse.

But the external one will hold you till you get brave enough to replace the internal one!

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast