New Lounger
    Thanks

Error importing Outlook 2016 Contacts CSV file into webmail

I am importing an Outlook 2016 generated .CSV contact list into a webmail email account but keep receiving the following error.

Unknown error for item "(Unknown)": Could not parse csv file - Reason : missing column name for column[92]

There are 92 columns and each one has a column name. 92 columns is what Outlook 2016 generates, most columns are empty, just the name. I had previously tried deleting columns with no data but still got the same error, and always for the last column.

Is there a trick to get this contact list imported successfully? I am trying to create a whitelist filter to reject all email where the FROM name isn't in my contact file. My .CSV file contains 162 rows.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It sounds like your webmail doesn't understand the format used by Outlook. Do you have a list of the formats supported and a sample of those formats so you can compare your data?

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I encounter problems like this, the easiest and most productive thing to do is to switch data formats. As Paul says or implies, you want to match up a list of what formats Outlook can export to, and what formats your webmail can import from.

On my Outlook 2010, the following export formats are supported:

Outlook 2010 Export Options.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks

Error importing Outlook 2016 Contacts CSV file into webmail

Hope this clears things up
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have selected "windows live contacts" as the import type. Are you sure you exported in that format?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    It sounds like your webmail doesn't understand the format used by Outlook. Do you have a list of the formats supported and a sample of those formats so you can compare your data?

cheers, Paul
    Exactly, Outlook had 92 columns for data, but Webmail only used 51. Once I modified the Outlook CSV file to only use columns that were in Webmail it imported fine.

Thank you

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You have selected "windows live contacts" as the import type. Are you sure you exported in that format?

cheers, Paul
    My bad, those were just some screen captures for illustration. Guess I didn't make the proper selection before copying it. I ended up exporting outlook contacts from Webmail and found it only had 51 columns, so I matched my Outlook contacts to only use columns that were exported from Webmail and it imported fine.

Thank you

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Nothing like a bit of manual intervention.

cheers, Paul