Thanks

How Microsoft plans to shrink down and speed up Windows 10 updates

Supposedly this is coming in the future.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/31386...tml#tk.rss_all
    One of the biggest changes will involve Windows Update delivering only the updates relevant to the device requesting them, Bill Karagounis, director of program management for the Windows Insider Program and OS fundamentals at Microsoft, said in a blog post.

“Because more processing is being done by the service, this will lead to faster checks for update operations,” he wrote. “It’s important to note that with UUP, nothing will look or behave differently on the surface, UUP is all underlying platform and service optimization that happens behind the scenes.”

In the future, the UUP will make it possible for Microsoft to ship updates as differential download packages, meaning users will have to download only the parts of Windows that have changed between updates. For large updates, users could see a roughly 35 percent reduction in the size of downloads, Karagounis said.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Started deployment with mobile build 14959. Will spread to non-mobile Win10 in future releases with completion due spring time next year with the Creators Update.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This reminds me of an old-school patching system I used, way back in the DOS days. That was the entire point of it's design was to do differential patching. And it worked too, patches were notably small, which was helpful before CD-ROM became widespread.

The user interfaces then were nothing near as good as we have today, of course.

I can't remember the name of that system. Now that's going to bother me!

Thanks
    It will be interesting to see how 'differential patching' works for those who have diagnostics/telemetry processes and endpoints curtailed, e.g. users of O&O ShutUp 10 and Spybot Anti-Beacon, etc.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow the bouncing ball and sing along, "...and everything old is new again."

I may be completely missing something here but... The whole point of cumulative updates is so that Windows doesn't have to check your computer against the update database to see what you need and only download those things. The download file would be larger but it was supposed to be faster this way. Now it sounds like they have decided it was faster the old way so now we go back to checking to see which slipstream version you need.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm
    I may be completely missing something here but...
    But, but, but... you're talking about the company that made certain applications require additional administrative privileges only to have to introduce a service to facilitate the running of applications with additional administrative privileges (see Application Information service). Left hand... right hand?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Follow the bouncing ball and sing along, "...and everything old is new again."

I may be completely missing something here but... The whole point of cumulative updates is so that Windows doesn't have to check your computer against the update database to see what you need and only download those things. The download file would be larger but it was supposed to be faster this way. Now it sounds like they have decided it was faster the old way so now we go back to checking to see which slipstream version you need.
    The point of cumulative updates is to make sure that when you update you get all the prior fixes and features that have been released for the version of Windows you are running. In theory cumulative updates should be more reliable because the end user can't pick and choose which patches to apply. I suspect this will be most noticeable on major updates/upgrades and not so noticeable on the monthly cumulative updates. Insiders may notice the effects too since they install many more releases than the normal user.

See the Microsoft announcement at Introducing Unified Update Platform (UUP).
    Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2016-11-05)